D&D 5E What the warlord needs in 5e and how to make it happen.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
According to wrecan, one of the experts on Warlords, a warlord in 5e needs the following:

1: Grant advantage to the next attack made by an ally (and the Warlord also attacks).
2: Give an ally a bonus "free" attack with extra damage.
3: Grant bonuses (or advantage) to initiative checks.
4: Give an ally a "free" move (and the Warlord also attacks).
5: Give an ally a save against an ongoing effect (and the Warlord also attacks).
6: Use an interrupt to reduce damage to an ally.
7: Restore lost HP to an ally (and the Warlord also attacks).
8: Improve out-of-combat healing.
9: Allow and ally to move and attack off-turn.
10: Grant an ally a "free" attack with NO bonuses (and the Warlord also attacks).
11: Give an ally a bonus to damage on their next attack (and the Warlord also attacks).

Do you agree with this list? If so, how could this be implemented in 5e? I am curious what peoples thoughts are on this.

As others may have said, the "(and the Warlord also attacks)" stuff would be things that come in after 5th level, or after 11th level.

Most 5e abilities do one thing at a time. Other than that, it isn't a bad list.

IMO:

A 5e warlord needs:

*to be able to trade its action to give an action, no extra strings or restrictions. Just a 1-1 trade, with a bonus at higher levels (probably lvls 5 and 11)

*Abillity to give group buffs, sometimes

*abillity to give individual buffs, at will as an action

*Ability to give "lead by example" buffs, doing a thing and giving a buff to the next ally that follows suit

*Abilities to "think", plan, or lead the party into a better position, and out of bad positions, in and out of combat.

Subclasses for the 4e style soldier style warlord, Star Wars Saga style Leadership/Inspiration Noble, and something thematically similar to Robin Hood or a charming pirate captain.

I'd call the class Captain, not warlord.

edit: also, for mechanical execution, I would look more to the Star Wars Saga "Noble" class talents, especially from the Leadership, Inspiration, and some of the oddball trees, but with HD and proficiencies more similar to the 5e Ranger.

Last edited:

Xeviat

Hero
There have been many good Warlord attempts on the DM's Guild. But if we're just theory crafting, here's how I'd look at it:

Start with the Warlock Chassis. Rather than spell slots, they have shouts. Draw inspiration from Bard spells. Heavily favor bonus action abilities. As these are short rest, gear their healing abilities toward temporary hit points (not that the fighter's second wind, the healing cleric's channel divinity, and the healer feat don't already show that we have short rest healing). Eldritch Blast +Agonizing Blast provides a rather beefy baseline for base damage. Start them at one attack and an action to grant someone else an attack. At 5th level, let them attack and grant an attack, or attack and grant advantage, or other things. Also, give them cantrip-like at-will abilities, to help with positioning and aiding allies (ranged help action, defend someone, etc.).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Xeviat

Hero
It'd simply be a matter of going through the Bard and Cleric spell list and choosing effects which you'd think would be appropriate. Just looking at it at a glance, for first level, bane, bless, command, healing word, heroism, longstrider, and shield of faith could all make sense to some degree. You'd want to pick things that improve with level, though, as the shouts would be scaling like spell levels.

Then when you get to 11th level and higher, you'd want to have a list of options, like 2/level, to choose as their "mystic arcanum".

6th: Mass Suggestion (maybe with limited options, like forcing your opponents to spend their action Defending), Heal
7th: Regenerate
8th: Dominate Monster (you look trustworthy, join us, the pay is better and we won't kill you), Holy Aura
9th: Power Word Heal, Mass Heal

I need to go pick up the DMs Guild Warlords.

Remove ads