• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General What To Call A Gish?

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Personally, I like gish for the class name. It's the only term that's evolved to encapsulate the entire concept.

I mean, the thread is titled "What to call a gish", which implies that word is doing the heavy lifting of communicating the concept to the audience. Why struggle when we have a perfectly good word that isn't bound up with secondary meanings?

aco175

Legend
I'm confused. Why is 'Arcknight' preferable to 'Arcane Knight'?

Surely the second is vastly better?
I'm fine with Arcknight, mostly what @AcererakTriple6 said about combining the names. Everyone's names get shortened over time. I would like Arcblade as well and have Arcknight as a subclass with more knightly powers. Maybe tied to a race like Elven Arcknight, but I see we gotten away from this with spellsinger and the bow one that I cannot recall.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I’m leaning toward Aegis, Dweomerlok, or Artavus.
Okay my short list at this point is:

Aegis

Athemir

Arcanthemir or Arcanthame.

Dweomerlok/Dweomerlock (my wife suggest Dweomerblade, and then we realized that’s the perfect name for the special bonded weapon feature. either that or atheme, obviously)

Warder

Swordmage (it is classic, and well known. Good way to find art for such characters. But also wotc IP which means I’d basically have to publish it under DMSGuild if I published it)

delericho

Legend
Personally, I like Mageblade. And, like others in the thread, I don't like Gish.

So Arknight for a class, Eldritch Knight for a subclass. Why? Because it’s part of the D&D style guide, and has been since what, 1e ADnD? Earlier?
There have been a few exceptions along the way (but just a few) - 3e had the Psychic Warrior and Favored Soul, for instance.

That said, I do like the convention of using one word for a class, with subclasses having more if needed.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Personally, I like Mageblade. And, like others in the thread, I don't like Gish.
Mageblade isn’t bad. Makes me think of witchblade, which is cooler but also someone’s IP.
There have been a few exceptions along the way (but just a few) - 3e had the Psychic Warrior and Favored Soul, for instance.

That said, I do like the convention of using one word for a class, with subclasses having more if needed.
For sure, there have been exceptions, but overall it’s a good convention.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
Okay my short list at this point is:

Aegis

Athemir

Arcanthemir or Arcanthame.

Dweomerlok/Dweomerlock (my wife suggest Dweomerblade, and then we realized that’s the perfect name for the special bonded weapon feature. either that or atheme, obviously)

Warder

Swordmage (it is classic, and well known. Good way to find art for such characters. But also wotc IP which means I’d basically have to publish it under DMSGuild if I published it)

I'd use Dweomer in an achetype called Dwimmerlance, the swordmage using pole weapons. Its kinda close to Dwimmerlaik and sounds cool.

I still say call it a Gish.

Gish is a stylish word that has meaning. Who cares if it used to be Gith only, its 2022 and we don't do that anymore. The Gish is a warrior trained in both the magical and the martial for the sheer purpose of doing important things. They don't fully master both (They won't get 4 attacks, for example, or 9th level spells). Then, the sublcasses pin on the story. The Order of Death Knights, the Order of Wardens, the Order of blah blah blah. Just like the Fighter and Rogue, who have NO STORY in their base class, but have a lot of story in their subclasses.

Remove ads