What to do about a publisher not paying?

Samurai

Adventurer
I wasn't sure if this thread was best suited for the art forum or the publisher forum, but here goes....

I'm a freelance artist, have been for many years. Until recently, every company I worked for paid me what they owed me. Sometimes the payments were very fast, other times they took a while, but no one flat out refused to pay for work that was received and approved.

But recently it has happened to me twice. The first time, after well over a year of stalling and "you're next on the list to be paid, honest!" and "the check's in the mail!", I finally accepted a bunch of books from the company in lieu of payment. (They were a larger publisher with a fairly broad selection of books I was at least somewhat interested in and didn't already own).

Now, the second time, the situation isn't as hopeful. It has been over 9 months since the work was received and accepted by the publisher. The contract stated that payment would be made within 90 days of publication or within 7 months, whichever came first. I was patient for 6 months, then began writing the company emails. At first I got no responses. So I contacted everyone I knew at the company (3 people in all). Every one of them no longer works there. I kept writing, and finally got a few responses that said they'd never heard of me, and that the art I did was credited to another person's name. Well, I think I got that straightened out, but now we're back to the same stalling tactics I encountered for so long with the other company... "We'll send payment by so and so date!" (They don't), and then no responses to email after email.

This publisher is a member here, so I'm hoping he sees this. Private emails and such are getting no response at all, so I felt I had no choice but to go public, though I'm not going to reveal the publisher's name at this point.

My question for the artists and publishers here is, what do you suggest I do? Small Claims court? The amount isn't huge, and my time is limited, so that'd be an absolute last resort IMO. Just keep emailing despite the lack of responses most of the time? I plan to, but it hasn't worked yet, and shows little sign that it will. Public warning to fellow creators not to work with that company? If it worked. the company would fold and I'd never get paid, though at least a few other people might not get taken for a ride. What do you all think?

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
You may be able to file a lien against the publisher for moneys owed. I've done it (not for writing/editing work, though). That said, here's the best advice you'll get on this thread:

Make an appointment to sit down with an attorney.

Not that we don't have some attorneys here, but there is a reason that people with real legal issues go to an attorney's office before they hit a gaming website.

[Note: Incidentally, I'm in the same boat concerning an article written a while back, though I haven't actively persued it as the pay was next to nothing, anyhow.]

Goblinoid Games

First Post
Samurai said:
My question for the artists and publishers here is, what do you suggest I do? Small Claims court? The amount isn't huge, and my time is limited, so that'd be an absolute last resort IMO. Just keep emailing despite the lack of responses most of the time? I plan to, but it hasn't worked yet, and shows little sign that it will. Public warning to fellow creators not to work with that company? If it worked. the company would fold and I'd never get paid, though at least a few other people might not get taken for a ride. What do you all think?

My response to this might not be popular, but personally I think that if you've exhausted every effort then you should certainly warn other creators. I mean, it's one thing for a publisher to misplace paperwork, etc., but any publisher who behaves like this frankly doesn't deserve to have a good reputation. Maybe I sound harsh, but as a small publisher I think that any artists and writers out there who are willing to sell their creative efforts for what is usually pretty low pay to begin with shouldn't be mistreated by denying them what little compensation they would get. It is from the efforts of these artists that we can even create product to begin with, and they need to be treated professionally and with respect.

Anyway, IMO just my 2 cents. The only way to keep this kind of dishonesty in check, IMO, is to make companies accountable for their actions.

Best,
Dan

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
Once you let the genie out of the bottle, it remains out, for good or for ill.

Send a message to Ghostwind asking for advice and continue to keep it a private matter.

2WS-Steve

First Post
jdrakeh said:
Make an appointment to sit down with an attorney.

Has anyone ever done this in RPG freelancing who can share their experience? I'd be interested to learn how it turned out.

I'm sure the worry for any freelancer is that attorneys earn for more per hour than RPG work, and that you'd almost certainly spend more on the attorney than get from the publisher -- especially given how many publishers routinely rotate in and out of bankruptcy.

I understand that in England there's a "loser pays" rule so that you could force the publisher to also pay your legal fees -- but I don't think that's the case in the states.

I suppose one alternative would be to post to the RPGFreelance list to see if anyone else is in the same boat, then maybe try to do something collectively and split the costs.

2WS-Steve

First Post
Mark CMG said:
Once you let the genie out of the bottle, it remains out, for good or for ill.

Send a message to Ghostwind asking for advice and continue to keep it a private matter.

Personally I'm not so convinced that one should keep it a private matter. Certainly in the beginning while trying to work it out and look at your other options --

-- but poor freelancers often don't have any other options given the costs of legal action. And some people exploit that -- knowing they can and will routinely get away with ripping off fresh batches of freelancers.

At least by going public there's some accountability/justice and future freelancers will know who to stay clear of. Sort of like the Predators & Editors site which is terrifically useful for aspiring writers.

Samurai

Adventurer
2WS-Steve said:
Has anyone ever done this in RPG freelancing who can share their experience? I'd be interested to learn how it turned out.

I'm sure the worry for any freelancer is that attorneys earn for more per hour than RPG work, and that you'd almost certainly spend more on the attorney than get from the publisher -- especially given how many publishers routinely rotate in and out of bankruptcy.

I understand that in England there's a "loser pays" rule so that you could force the publisher to also pay your legal fees -- but I don't think that's the case in the states.

I suppose one alternative would be to post to the RPGFreelance list to see if anyone else is in the same boat, then maybe try to do something collectively and split the costs.

Exactly... the amount is not a huge sum, and an hour or 2 of an attorney's time would consume most or all of it.

At least in some cases we have "loser pays" here too, but it can be a gamble, because if they get a much better attorney and you happen to lose, you have to pay for their attorney as well! I think I've got good documentation (emails, the contract, etc), but nothing is certain in a court of law...

Goblinoid Games

First Post
Just to be clear, in my post above I wasn't advocating making it a public spectacle, but I do think that once every effort has been made to resolve matters, some form of public recognition is in order. Not in the form of creating a "scene," but definitely in warning others. I'm not sure how this could be tactfully done.

Sigurd

First Post
Whatever you do, and whoever you talk to be sure to confine yourself to what is true. "Such and Such is a bastard!" hurts your reputation and case in almost every serious situation. "Such and Such accepted a contract to pay, received my art, and hasn't paid me according to the contract terms." Is more powerful and less potentially libelous. Say what you can prove.

Anyone that matters to the business cares more about how they reneg on contracts anyway. Everyone who has some understanding of the situation will appreciate your maturity.

my 0.02 cents

Sigurd

Finster

First Post
Back when I free-lanced, I knew an attornay that accepted artwork as payment. Check in the Illustrator's and Graphic Designer's Guide (one is put out each year). It may have a listing of friendly lawyers.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases