D&D 5E What to do when the Player's Handbook falls apart

pdzoch

Explorer
Other than sending it back to WOTC for a replacement (which I think is the best idea). However, I decided to convert the Player's Handbook into a binder style book (like the old 2nd Edition) so I could add the Unearthed Arcana materials, the errata sheet, and any additional 3rd party player's materials in one location. I was surprised at how thick the book became when I moved all the sheets into document protectors. I decided to move the individual pages into document protectors because I knew that simply hole punching each page (which is a whole lot of work) would eventually lead to torn pages through the books heavy use. I added the dividers to make it easy to navigate (like the premium 3.5 edition PHB).
20161227_194051.jpg20161227_194127.jpg20161227_194243.jpg20161227_194322.jpg

GreyLord

Legend
With all the page protectors that couldn't have been cheap. Nice idea though. I probably would have gotten a wirebound binding (like the paper notebooks with a wire that connects it all together), or the same idea with a plastic wirebound, but it may have eventually torn as well, especially if you already went through the original book.

pdzoch

Explorer
With all the page protectors that couldn't have been cheap. Nice idea though. I probably would have gotten a wirebound binding (like the paper notebooks with a wire that connects it all together), or the same idea with a plastic wirebound, but it may have eventually torn as well, especially if you already went through the original book.

Page protectors ran 10 bucks for 200 -- purchased at a one of the warehouse stores that sold big lots.

Capn Charlie

Explorer
I found page protectors online for about 7-8 bucks per box of 100, 12 per box of nicer ones.

At 320 pages, you'd need four boxes and have spares left over for UA or whatever, so about 30-40 bucks for just the PHB alone.

Pricey when you pay that much or less for a fresh PHB. That being said, I am still quite impressed, and envious. It looks very convenient, and handsome. I should have asked for more office supplies for christmas.

guachi

Hero
When mine fell apart I ripped the pages out and bound it with a comb binder I had received for Christmas. I had asked for the comb binder to bind all the stuff I had purchased off of rpgnow.com before they had PoD services.

I bound the spell section separately from the rest of it. The cost was pennies for the binding and the acetate covers though, of course, you have to have a comb binder.

GreyLord

Legend
When mine fell apart I ripped the pages out and bound it with a comb binder I had received for Christmas. I had asked for the comb binder to bind all the stuff I had purchased off of rpgnow.com before they had PoD services.

I bound the spell section separately from the rest of it. The cost was pennies for the binding and the acetate covers though, of course, you have to have a comb binder.

That's very similar to what I do with my PDF's, except I use the wire binding instead of the comb. However, if someone has utilized their PHB hard enough to wear out the binding, I'm not sure how long a comb or wire binding would work. The OP may have made the wise choice (it sounds like the covers only cost them ~$20 which is a bargain...far cheaper than I could find them).

Chaosmancer

Legend
I had heard, and it turned out true, that you can call WOTC and if you have an early edition PHB that is falling apart you do not need to actually send the book back to get a replacement.

All they needed from me was some pictures showing the copyright page and the damage, and they sent me a new book.

I know this isn't exactly what this thread was for, but I feel it is good enough information for someone trying to decide what to do that I would go ahead and share it. Now I'm just trying to figure out how to go lighter on this one so it doesn't suffer a similar fate.

guachi

Hero
That's very similar to what I do with my PDF's, except I use the wire binding instead of the comb. However, if someone has utilized their PHB hard enough to wear out the binding, I'm not sure how long a comb or wire binding would work. The OP may have made the wise choice (it sounds like the covers only cost them ~$20 which is a bargain...far cheaper than I could find them).

Mine fell apart not from overuse but because it was an early printing from the very first batch that fell apart from looking at it.

It would have been nice if I had been able to just send a picture of the book and send it back and then I'd have two PHBs.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I think I know why I like this. It reminds me of the time when I first got into dnd. Almost everything I wrote was stored in a ring binder. Those were good times.

Sent from my SM-G925I using EN World mobile app

Remove ads