• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What to do with a Player who doesn't like his class

Mitchbones

First Post
I just concluded the most successful session I have ever ran. Almost every player was into the game more than usual. For a group that mainly is hack-and-slash they were roleplaying with the NPCs they encountered, even conversing with the ones they knew were unimportant. Combat went faster than it usually does as almost everyone was ready for their turn and knew what they wanted to do. Except for one player.

I did everything I could to get him into the game, have the NPCs say interesting things to him, but he was detattched and everyone commented on it. I asked him earlier and he said he thinks his class "sucks and isn't fun to roleplay" (He is playing a Duskblade...which defiantly doesn't suck) and he doesn't like it. What should I do to get him into the game?

Thanks!

mcrow

Explorer
Mitchbones said:
I just concluded the most successful session I have ever ran. Almost every player was into the game more than usual. For a group that mainly is hack-and-slash they were roleplaying with the NPCs they encountered, even conversing with the ones they knew were unimportant. Combat went faster than it usually does as almost everyone was ready for their turn and knew what they wanted to do. Except for one player.

I did everything I could to get him into the game, have the NPCs say interesting things to him, but he was detattched and everyone commented on it. I asked him earlier and he said he thinks his class "sucks and isn't fun to roleplay" (He is playing a Duskblade...which defiantly doesn't suck) and he doesn't like it. What should I do to get him into the game?

Thanks!

I think if this isn't a regular occurance for this players, I'd let him roll up a new character if they are relatively low level.

DM_Jeff

Explorer
You know, this actually reeks of him having some problems outside the game. If everyone was having such a good time but he wasn't it's possible he came to the game after a bad day at work or with a relationship and blamed the mechanics because he didn't want to open up.

Then again, I have seen Duskblades played, and yes they are a great class, but maybe they're not for everyone. It's possible the fellow thought it would be something else in play. I'd call him and talk to him about the session in a relaxed way, to see if it really is the character...to make up a new one and work it into the campaign.

-DM Jeff

Mitchbones said:

Thanks!

You should probably find out what it is he doesn't like about the class. From there, you can try to change things to make him enjoy it more or allow him to change characters.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Find out what he WANTED to roleplay, and ask him if he wants to switch up.

That said, keep in mind some people just aren't into taking center-stage, so make sure "not fun" isn't a cover for "not enough combat for his tastes" or "I'm really a more casual gamer, and enjoy jsut being part of the group, and don't like you to focus on me too much."

But the main thing is get him talking about what he really wants - not the class, but what he wants hsi character to be able to do in-game.

senodam

First Post
Ask him if he wants to switch classes. I've had the same situation crop up, and I just let the player in question rebuild their PC into something they like- the most recent case was a new-ish player switching out her cleric levels for fighter. It might not make a whole lot of 'in game' sense, but so long as it ensures the player has fun, who cares right?

Mitchbones

First Post
Thanks for all the input. I talked to him about it and he said he was just having a really bad day. I might ask him to stick with his class a little bit longer (we have only played 2 sessions and we are level 1) to see if he really doesn't like it.

thanks again.

Asmor

First Post
Speaking as someone who's notorious for switching characters (a reputation I feel is largely undeserved, but I digress), I say just let him change his character. The game's more important than the story, and the most important thing is fun.

Remove ads