What treasure do you wish was in upcoming adventures?

TwinPeaksGuy

Explorer
Money is always great, but some things money can't buy (usually magic) and some things are specifically required for magic to happen.

more scrolls? Potions of healing? Treasure that is specified in the spell descriptions as a component consumed in a spell? (I've usually seen such things just handwaved with an admonition to deduct the gold and be done with it, which is understandable but a little disappointing.)

I myself am a fan of very colorful and flavorful items, that might for the most part be a +0. Things like a shield covered in a dragon scale (from season one, I think), not all that different from a regular shield. It might be fun for it to have one or more minor properties (you could maybe soup up that shield by making its bearer immune to the exhaustion effects of cold), or even one of the DMG quirks. Still a +0 to AC, Hit, or Damage, but just enough to qualify as a magic item without making the +1 item too much to also hand out in that session. I'd be really jazzed to see a lot more such items, but maybe that's just me.

Last edited:

TwinPeaksGuy

Explorer
But then you have to decide if that counts against your magic item total.

I think when they considered the Inheritor background in the SCAG they drew the line at a minor quirk, from a DMG table. So my immunity idea may have gone too far, but there seems to be a drawable line for "kinda sorta magical but not in any really meaningful way" aside from the sheer flavor of it. My CoS main character has a pipe that blows smoke skulls, I love that particular trinket.

I could also be good with ditching the magical quality entirely, so long as it was useful and flavorful for the season. I really liked the dragon scale shield, which was described as mundane but more expensive. I also liked the occasional silver weapon, I think this season they'd be very appropriate. Flavor is the thing I'd like to see.

So what would you like to see more of in the haul?

Last edited:

Steve_MND

First Post
I feel AL's been way too liberal with the magic items as it is, especially in a system that was 'advertised' as to the magic items being rare and exotic items, as opposed to being something you drastically need to keep up with the power curve like you had in previous editions. I'd also be far more interested in seeing more 'pure flavor' items like the OP suggested, as opposed to actual power-increasing items, but I think the barn door's already wide open on that one at this point.

TwinPeaksGuy

Explorer
About the cold thing: there were exactly two times in the adventures I've played where exhaustion from cold exposure was an issue, and both times the DM (different DMs) offered a chance shortly before for party members to buy winter clothes that would keep the PC warm enough that exhaustion wasn't an issue. It was less than 5gp.

When you can buy a "coat of warmness" for 5gp, an amulet that does the same thing just doesn't seem overbearingly magical, and might really fit the flavor of some character concepts. Hard to see why that might be considered a problem, yet I've gamed with a level 6 character who got a staff of power in AL that repeatedly made combats one or two round proposition against the nastiest monsters in the adventure. All legal, yet very OP.

nswanson27

First Post
I feel AL's been way too liberal with the magic items as it is, especially in a system that was 'advertised' as to the magic items being rare and exotic items, as opposed to being something you drastically need to keep up with the power curve like you had in previous editions. I'd also be far more interested in seeing more 'pure flavor' items like the OP suggested, as opposed to actual power-increasing items, but I think the barn door's already wide open on that one at this point.

I only half-agree with you. Yes, you do need magic items to keep up (e.g. non-magical attack resist/immunity). But whether or not your character gets the "right" magic items that suits their build is another matter. Being able to actually find people to trade magic items you need, or the finding the right adventures to play (and not run with people who want the same item) definitely puts the whole issue squarely back in the "rare and exotic" camp as far as I'm concerned.

delericho

Legend
I was going to say "an artifact, preferably a new one". Then I noticed that this was in the AL-specific sub-forum, so it's probably not appropriate. :)

(Though I suppose they could use a 4e-like model for artifacts where you only keep them for a short while - so give the artifact right at the start of the adventure but then have it move on once that adventure is done. Or, if later seasons follow the same story-arc approach as the most recent one, they could give the artifact out but rule that it moves on the first time you play any adventure from outside the arc. Not sure if either of those would work - I'm inclined to think not, but you never know...)

Maybe this will change as my AL characters reach higher levels, but some magic weapons and armor would be nice. Especially since I imagine there will be more monsters with resistance/immunity to nonmagical attacks.

I've actually been enjoying how scant magic items have been in AL, and scaled back my home campaign's distribution based on it. I never thought a Ring of Fire Resistance would have been so exciting until it was my only magic item for the first five levels of my one character!

RulesJD

First Post
I really wish they'd go back to whomever did the magic items for Lost Mines and just use that template. It was the perfect mix of fluff items (Glass staff) that had actual utility (mage armor + Shield spell) without any of them being particularly overwhelming. A little bit of something useful for everyone.

Pauper

That guy, who does that thing.
I'd like to see more mundane treasure that has symbolic value within the storyline season, and that can be referenced in later adventures in providing a benefit or even a hindrance when playing those adventures.

Example: In Season 3, perhaps you had the opportunity to take a trophy from a demonic opponent, and doing so gave you Disadvantage on madness saves from demonic sources in further Season 3 adventures, but also allowed Advantage on Arcana and Investigation checks in a specific scene in a later adventure where you are in an area that was significant to that demonic opponent.

I appreciate that AL wants to have more 'flavorful' items available as treasure, but there are more ways to do that than simply rolling on the quirks table in the DMG when deciding what magic item is in the adventure.

--
Pauper

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases