D&D General What version of the Basic D&D/BECMI starter set did you first own?

If the first Dungeons & Dragons product you owned was a Basic D&D starter set, which was it?

• 1977, Basic Set (Holmes)

Votes: 14 16.3%
  • 1981, Basic Set (Moldvay)

Votes: 31 36.0%
  • 1983, Basic Rules (Mentzer, the "red box")

Votes: 33 38.4%
  • 1991, The New Easy-to-Master Dungeons & Dragons Game (Denning, the "black box")

Votes: 7 8.1%
  • 1994, The Classic Dungeons & Dragons Game (Stewart)

Votes: 1 1.2%

• Poll closed .
Huhn, I didn't realize Holmes was initially '77. I got mine in '79, with B2 Keep on the Borderlands, for Chistmas. Still had the chits, instead of dice.
yeah, that was my first one too, got it in 1980. The chits were so annoying that (literally) the next day, I went out and bought a set of dice, and consigned the chits to the trash can. The box eventually disintegrated, the B2 module ended up disappearing, but I still have the rulebook...

J.Quondam

CR 1/8
I started with the Mentzer '83 "Red Box", but had/gotten a copy of the Cook/Marsh '81 Expert rules before the "Blue Box" Expert came out...which I then got anyway...

...cuz, you know,...had to get/have the matching sets.
Heh, that's what I did, too, except I never bothered picking up the "correct" Blue Box Expert set. Little-kid-me never realized they were really different editions! The little rules mismatches puzzled me slightly now and then, but we managed just fine.
And just to make the mismatch even more glaring, I eventually got the Companion set.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Heh, that's what I did, too, except I never bothered picking up the "correct" Blue Box Expert set. Little-kid-me never realized they were really different editions! The little rules mismatches puzzled me slightly now and then, but we managed just fine.
And just to make the mismatch even more glaring, I eventually got the Companion set.
OH, of course! Even though I was well into playing AD&D (1e) by then, I still made sure to get the Companion and Masters boxes. Never did get my hands on an Immortals, actually.

I still have all of the BECM (not I) manuals. The boxes themselves did not fair through the decades as well. I still have the blue and black boxes (that are in near-total uselessness) but the others are long gone.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Red box

Older brother was the DM. I played Dweeny the Dwarf.
Moldvay.

The sitter saw I had Moldvay and knew how to play - which was good, because I don't think any of my friends did. My Halfling Antares had to cut off my Dwarf Alexis's hand off to save him from a cursed sword. Played them for many years with friends in the neighborhood.

Last edited:

Remove ads