D&D 4E What was the final clarification for the timing issues of Divine Challenge and Divine Sanction?

Well, from 2008 to 2010 we had no huge problem. I mean, yes, there are a lot of little picky things to figure out and some of them are ambiguous, but we sorted through it. Personally if I'd been the guy in charge I'd have not made such a change. I suspect it was a kind of ill-considered cleanup of rules for the RC that maybe wasn't even really understood to have such a big impact. Who knows?

TBH WotC never handled rules in 4e in an impressive way. I mean, I've played ASL, War in the East, War in the West, and War in the Pacific (we actually were stupid enough to join them all together and play all of WWII, it literally required 5 4'x8' miniatures tables to layout the maps and charts...) I think I know game rules. 4e's rules were NEVER that solid from a wargaming perspective. I mean you play ASL, and its rules are easily 100's of pages, but they're never particularly ambiguous. Every rule has a numbered paragraph, its utterly clear what is and isn't rules text, every term is fully defined, etc. IMHO what 4e REALLY badly needed was some AH guys to come over and teach them how to write a rulebook. Not that all of 4e should have been written like a wargame, but the combat and power chapters and a few other parts BADLY needed to be.

Tony Vargas

Legend
IMHO what 4e REALLY badly needed was some AH guys to come over and teach them how to write a rulebook. Not that all of 4e should have been written like a wargame, but the combat and power chapters and a few other parts BADLY needed to be.
Heh. No small part of the ire directed at 4e stemmed from it being written much closer to that standard than D&D ever had been before (and 5e intentionally, even ostentatiously, swung hard back towards 'natural language' ambiguity).

Heh. No small part of the ire directed at 4e stemmed from it being written much closer to that standard than D&D ever had been before (and 5e intentionally, even ostentatiously, swung hard back towards 'natural language' ambiguity).

Yes, but sadly it was a bit of a muddle. They got the concept, but the execution left much to be desired...

Remove ads