What We Lose When We Eliminate Controversial Content

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
I mean, yeah? It's pretty bad when your answer doesn't talk about the usage or the importance of the thing being talked about, but only references the fact that it was there before, thus it should continue to stay there. It's basically conceding that it has no place or importance beyond a strict adherence to previous lore.

That's, like, the poster-child for the bad usage of something if you can't think of a better reason to keep it than "It was already there".
The use of slavery in fiction has been explained and justified many times over by multiple people on this thread, including myself. It's not just "it was there before". Slavery has a narrative and worldbuilding value. What I'm getting from you is that there's no justification for its existence in a game that is acceptable to you.

The use of slavery in fiction has been explained and justified many times over by multiple people on this thread, including myself. It's not just "it was there before". Slavery has a narrative and worldbuilding value.

Has it for the Forgotten Realms? Maybe I'm confused, because I don't believe it has beyond "it was there before".

What I'm getting from you is that there's no justification for its existence in a game that is acceptable to you.

I mean, I've literally said the opposite and I'm really tired of having to correct people on the matter. I just the reasons given as to why it must be included in D&D games to generally be lame.

I find people are generally way less likely to air their discontent with stuff because it gets perceived as "rocking the boat". But also this was largely talking about a Holocaust comparison that was not actually accurate to the game being played.

Again, this is weirdly dismissive. I am quite sure I understood the views of the people in this particular game. Yes some people are afraid of rocking the boat, you can’t use thatch dismiss every example of people who counter your narrative on this. I don’t know what you found inaccurate. The subject of genocide came up, Falkovnia has pretty clear allusions to the Holocaust

Again, this is weirdly dismissive. I am quite sure I understood the views of the people in this particular game. Yes some people are afraid of rocking the boat, you can’t use thatch dismiss every example of people who counter your narrative on this. I don’t know what you found inaccurate. The subject of genocide came up, Falkovnia has pretty clear allusions to the Holocaust

I'm not completely dismissing them, I'm just saying that we shouldn't immediately assume everyone asked was okay with something because it's harder to air discontent than it is approval in group settings, especially when you are not in the majority.

Faolyn

(she/her)
5e, it's no longer the Holocaust domain, nor are non-humans enslaved in it.

I'm not completely dismissing them, I'm just saying that we shouldn't immediately assume everyone asked was okay with something because it's harder to air discontent than it is approval in group settings, especially when you are not in the majority.

But these players were in the majority. No one in the room would have raised an issue if someone expressed concern. Like I said these are people I grew up with, and the group was largely Jewish or had Jewish ancestry. I am quite sure I know their opinions on it as I was close with them, still have regular conversations with many, and share that background

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads