What We Lose When We Eliminate Controversial Content

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xamnam

Loves Your Favorite Game
I don't know that it's in/on the core books, but it is at least on the starter set:

sOOEJla.png

MGibster

Legend
Of course it is called role playing but I remain somewhat sceptical of "historically accurate" roleplaying.
As you should, but then I don't expect historical accuracy in a form of entertainment like I might expect in a peer reviewed article from an academic journal. In most games, I'm just looking for verisimilitude.

Which is why some much of D&D occurs over the civilised border. It is why most fantasy states in any D&D setting cannot control their own borders or even secure the interior. They use roving bands of armed assassins to do the job that should be done by the local constabulary/militia. These so called bands of adventures are not answerable to any authority. It would not be tolerated by any nation or kingdom that could enforce its laws.
That's all part of the adolescent fantasy which is part of the appeal I think. I've often found players who are used to D&D have some cultural shock when they play another game where they're obligated to follow rules or respect authority figures unless they want to suffer some serious consequences. I still remember a Vampire player bitterly complaining that the Prince was being unfair. Yeah, that's kind of how Vampire society works. It sucks!

Mesero

Explorer
How is suddenly any knowledge of Rome and its economy that goes beyond guys in toga that talk latin being considered studying history?
There is a very large space between studying history and aping history and I hope mist people fall into that space.

And even if not, if RPGs also teach people some historic facts they didn't know I would consider it a bonus.

Irlo

Hero
How is suddenly any knowledge of Rome and its economy that goes beyond guys in toga that talk latin being considered studying history?
There is a very large space between studying history and aping history and I hope mist people fall into that space.

And even if not, if RPGs also teach people some historic facts they didn't know I would consider it a bonus.
It isn’t considered studying history. You missed the context of the comments about learning history. Someone posted that learning history will sometimes make you comfortable. That doesn’t mean that playing games must also do so.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
I remember reading a few articles and threads about this topic back when Wizards of the Coast began including the Legacy Content disclaimer on some of the old TSR pdfs. I remember thinking "we aren't losing anything. It's the same work, they just rubber-stamped a disclaimer on the first page...and a very milquetoast disclaimer at that. Nothing is going anywhere."

I still feel the same way, more or less. Republishing the Dark Sun campaign setting, for example, isn't going to un-publish the original 1991 books. Some people are going to prefer the original version, for various reasons, and they will still be able to find, purchase, read, and play them. Nothing is "lost."

But there is plenty to gain. Continuing the Dark Sun example: by updating it to the new rules set, updating the artwork, and updating the tone, they can introduce an entire new generation (and a much larger generation) to the setting. Releasing Dark Sun without updating it would make Wizards of the Coast look tone-deaf and out of touch, it would tarnish the product line, and it would alienate an entire generation of potential players. For better or worse, Wizards of the Coast is the TTRPG industry leader and they have to act like it. (And let's be honest: they already don't have a stellar record in this department, and all eyes are on them at the moment.)

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads