What We Lose When We Eliminate Controversial Content

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voadam

Legend
While half naked warrior barbarians are not about sex appeal the way a lot of female chainmail bikini warrior depictions have been, they are pretty foundational and iconic in fantasy warrior depictions since the Frazetta days. 5e barbarians get the Unarmored con as AC bonus for example specifically to support the unarmored warrior archetype.

I remember when playing a viking style 5e bard headed for the skald college I used something like this as my character concept art:

1679436410873.png

MGibster

Legend
Because a chainmail sports bra would still be completely ridiculous as actual armor?
That's just ridiculous. The advantage of a mail sports bra is in its lightweight flexibility allowing the wearer minimum encumbrance while maximizing her mobility. I'm surprised more medieval warriors didn't wear chain sports bras.

Hussar

Legend
And, again, it’s not about personal taste but about making people comfortable in the hobby.

Pin up art? In a calendar or maybe a novel cover, sure. In rpg book after book after book where the majority of female depictions in the books are chainmail bikinis? Maybe we really don’t need those.

Scribe

Legend
Maybe I just grew up on different stuff, but I think there is definitely a place for fantasy that displays the beauty and athleticism of the human body (both male and female). When I think of a lot of sword and sorcery, men and women both have clothes that are meant to be revealing, even titillating. That isn't going to be everyone's cup of tea on an RPG cover (I don't really do that sort of thing myself on my own books) but I think it has a place in the genre and hobby (and it isn't a horrible thing for an artist or writer to want to do). Obviously it isn't reflecting any kind of practical armor, but not everything in fantasy needs to be practical, historical or even authentic.

Amen.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
And, again, it’s not about personal taste but about making people comfortable in the hobby.

Pin up art? In a calendar or maybe a novel cover, sure. In rpg book after book after book where the majority of female depictions in the books are chainmail bikinis? Maybe we really don’t need those.
So is the issue too many RPGs books with pin up art then? Is there a percentage above zero you'd be ok with? Or do you really mean never again?

Faolyn

(she/her)
Maybe I just grew up on different stuff, but I think there is definitely a place for fantasy that displays the beauty and athleticism of the human body (both male and female). When I think of a lot of sword and sorcery, men and women both have clothes that are meant to be revealing, even titillating. That isn't going to be everyone's cup of tea on an RPG cover (I don't really do that sort of thing myself on my own books) but I think it has a place in the genre and hobby (and it isn't a horrible thing for an artist or writer to want to do). Obviously it isn't reflecting any kind of practical armor, but not everything in fantasy needs to be practical, historical or even authentic.
You are literally saying "there's a place for people to be reduced to objects to be gawked at."

No. That is not cool.

The art you're thinking of is outdated and sexist.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
You are literally saying "there's a place for people to be reduced to objects to be gawked at."

No. That is not cool.

The art you're thinking of is outdated and sexist.
To be fair, the entire fashion industry reduces people to objects to be gawked at. Many, many advertisements do the same. The entertainment industry still hits this pretty hard. That's how they sell stuff. People like looking at attractive people, on any part of the gender spectrum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads