What will it take for you to go back to F2F gaming?

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
In some of my games, we've got some at risk folks. So we may not do face to face (F2F) gaming until there's a vaccine.

Other games, maybe we'll get back together face to face sooner. But then again, maybe not. California is being more cautious than many US states, but I think they are still going too risky.

What will it take for folks to get back to F2F gaming?

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Well, my most cautious friend is also my most pessimistic friend, and the main co-GM of my group, so...a vaccine probably.

but yeah he is pretty set on the idea that he won’t see anyone outside of work in person for another year or more.

Without him, or with him Skyping in? Probably juat a sharp decline in the number of cases in my county and state to a point where infection is very unlikely. We will probably still take some precautions even then, however.

My players live in different countries, so I can't do face to face even if I wanted to.

Anyone waiting for a vaccine before resuming their life, however, needs to understand that there very well may never be a vaccine. No matter how hard scientists try. Sometimes that happens. By the end of the year the virus will have passed through varying countries and burnt itself out, the only difference will be the death tolls it has inflicted.

(Please don't take this as anti-vacc - if they found and effective and safe vaccine I'd be the first to line up. I just don't see it as likely, particularly in the near future).

aramis erak

Legend
In some of my games, we've got some at risk folks. So we may not do face to face (F2F) gaming until there's a vaccine.

Other games, maybe we'll get back together face to face sooner. But then again, maybe not. California is being more cautious than many US states, but I think they are still going too risky.

What will it take for folks to get back to F2F gaming?
several of my local group are at risk - multiple health impairments. For them? probably a vaccine, for others... I don't know. I will be refusing unmasked players until a vaccine... assuming the lockdown lets up before one.

Shiroiken

Legend
While my D&D group has been on Roll20 for many years, I do have a group I boardgame with IRL. Likely our group will slowly come back together, depending on each person. I'm fine with getting back together as soon as the stores we game at allow for it (they're open, but not permitting events), but as I've been working the entire time, I have little concern for myself. One guy has 2 young children, so I expect he'll likely hold off for a while. Our oldest guy has just about every risk factor for COVID-19, plus he's recently had surgery; I doubt he'll return for a long time.

My point being that I think it's going to vary on people's comfort level. With D&D, it's much harder, since you need everyone present (or most everyone). However, I think that the more concerned players can usually join via skype if most of the group still gets together. I did this back when gas was a bajillion dollars a gallon, as I didn't want to make the long drive to the game. What was really cool was that the DM set up his TV to show my video from Skype, so everyone could see me. My view was much more restrictive, depending on how much the player holding the camera moved me.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
They recently permitted indoor gatherings of up to 10 people where I live, and no one in my group or their immediate circle is high risk, so we're actually planning to have our first FTF game in months tomorrow.
Were not even close to that. Outdoors we can meet one person only in a public park at a distance of 2m. That’s it!

Remove ads