• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What will Masterplan be after the C&D?

Does it? I can't find the old link, but that's the worst-case scenario. :(

-O
Having been to the page only yesterday and again today, I can confirm that both the download link AND the download page are missing from the Masterplan website. Folks on the Facebook page are discussing it too, but there's no info there.

Do we, the community, have any recourse in this? Can we keep distributing version 8.8 anyway? Can somebody else mess around with the program and start developing it again? I'm aware that if there was a C&D, both of these strategies will be complicated by that.

Having been to the page only yesterday and again today, I can confirm that both the download link AND the download page are missing from the Masterplan website. Folks on the Facebook page are discussing it too, but there's no info there.

Do we, the community, have any recourse in this? Can we keep distributing version 8.8 anyway? Can somebody else mess around with the program and start developing it again? I'm aware that if there was a C&D, both of these strategies will be complicated by that.

As for distributing version 8.8 I see no big problem. Once it hits the eMule and torrent networks it will be available for the foreseeable future anyway.

The developer tools are still available on the download page, so someone could mess around with it, I guess.
And just in case the developer tools disappear without any explanation, I've taken the liberty to upload them to Megaupload: Link removed, it is not a liberty which is yours to take - Admin

Last edited by a moderator:

fnwc

Explorer
Turns out it *was* a C&D from Wizards. Apparently Masterplan will continue development, but without integration into the Compendium.

I find it silly that Wizards is so short sighted that they would move against something that actively promotes subscriptions to D&D Insider.

darjr

I crit!
From their facebook page.

There’s been a lot of speculation about Masterplan in the last week; here’s the official version.

Last week we received a Cease & Desist email from a lawyer acting on behalf of WOTC, in which she demanded that we shut down Masterplan entirely. As some people have speculated, the lawyer’s main complaint is about Masterplan’s integration with the WOTC Compendium.

In response to this email we have removed the Masterplan download link, for the time being; this means you will be unable to download Masterplan until version 9 is released. This obviously doesn’t affect those of you who already have the latest version, although sadly there’s not much we can do to help those who are newcomers to Masterplan.

As development of version 9 continues (and continue it does), we will disable the Compendium integration feature. We don’t have an ETA for version 9; as with all previous versions, it will be released when it’s ready. In the meantime, support will continue as normal – the website, blog and Facebook group are not going anywhere.

If any lawyers are reading this, and would like to offer your insight regarding this issue, you’re very welcome to contact us.

In short: we’re very gratified by all the messages of support we’ve received in the past week, but reports of Masterplan’s death have been greatly exaggerated.

Not cool. It would have been nice to have seen this worked out some other way.

Scribble

First Post
I guess thats why we never got the 3rd part of the Compendium API... They don't actually want it used.

That's sad... It's not like it really does much good without a subscription... why block something that will bring them money?

Obryn

Hero
My hope is that, much as with the various power card and character creation sites, this is the prelude to similar WotC software. I have my doubts, so it's really just a hope and nothing more.

I'm disappointed. It's a shame.

-O

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads