• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What will Masterplan be after the C&D?

rjdafoe

Explorer
It wouldn't be that hard to dynamically load the info from the server that masterplan currently caches locally. It would slow things up slightly, but still make the program workable and within the limits of WotC's ToU.

We will have to see what happens. Ever since Apple successfully had the court agree that copying includes RAM, it is anyones guess at this point.

I never used any of the export features, but if there are issues with sharing the data, it is the users problem.

Just like I could share my DDI stuff with anyone I want (and people DO, just check for a torrent).

We shall see how this plays out. My bet is that the next Adventure Tool is a Campaign or Encounter Builder that has smiliar features.

Kafen

First Post
Well, without seeing the C&D letter, and I'm sure part of it is that it can't be shown, then we really have no idea what part they objected too... Once MP 9 is out we might have some more info. I'll reserve my judgments then.

Yeah, I might start back into 4e. If it turns out that WOTC is trying to kill good software. It would force me to turn completely away from 4e. I am taking a wait and see approach at this point.

malraux

First Post
Yeah, I might start back into 4e. If it turns out that WOTC is trying to kill good software. It would force me to turn completely away from 4e. I am taking a wait and see approach at this point.

Not to be a WotC cheerleader, but what MP was doing was allowing for an easy way to share a huge amount of the DDI compendium information. I can understand why WotC would look down on such an app. That's a big distinction from a program like iplay4e which integrates with the DDI, but only does so "live", ie it gets all the info as needed from the server without storing it or allowing sharing.

rjdafoe

Explorer
Not to be a WotC cheerleader, but what MP was doing was allowing for an easy way to share a huge amount of the DDI compendium information. I can understand why WotC would look down on such an app. That's a big distinction from a program like iplay4e which integrates with the DDI, but only does so "live", ie it gets all the info as needed from the server without storing it or allowing sharing.

Actually no, it wasn't. The only way (from what I have read) to share your DDI information was to directly copy a file.

In fact, on their forums they actively encouraged people to buy DDI.

When all is said and done though, I don't see how WotC did not know about the feature. There is a thread on their own forums by the developer from last year and there is talk that DDI developers actually used the software (and some people even said that those developers said they could do better).

From everything I read, they are being held accountable for what a few users chose to do. It would be no different if those same people chose to input everything by hand or cut and paste everything and then share it.

If I where a developer, I would pay very close attention - especially if the next tool that is released shares some of the same functions as MasterPlan does.

malraux

First Post
Actually no, it wasn't. The only way (from what I have read) to share your DDI information was to directly copy a file.

Right, it makes it easy to share the data from the compendium. Certainly its hard to do accidentally, but that isn't what I said.

MrMyth

First Post
From everything I read, they are being held accountable for what a few users chose to do. It would be no different if those same people chose to input everything by hand or cut and paste everything and then share it.

Sure, but the concern may be with how easy it made it to share the contents of DDI. WotC seems to have much less of a problem with something like IPlay4E, which actively connects to it during use, but doesn't datamine and store the information outside the Compendium.

darjr

I crit!
The software doesn't seem dead. I still wish that it had been handled without the hammer that is a C&D. I'd wager that the developers would have changed it if asked.

From their post it sounds like they are taking out the download and trying to do something else. The C&D letter does suck.

Last edited:

malraux

First Post
The software doesn't seem dead. I still wish that it had been handled without the hammer that is a C&D. I'd wager that the developers would have changed it if asked.

A C&D is the asking. It's just the legalese way of politely asking. If the MP developers felt they were in the right, they can ignore the C&D.

Obryn

Hero
Well, Version 8.8 works pretty smoothly and bug-free. I have no qualms about using it forever, with the compendium data I've already downloaded through my own DDI account. We'll see if it continues to be workable after the monster format changes - maybe, maybe not! But a good backup of the directory should do the trick.

-O

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads