• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What will Masterplan be after the C&D?

rjdafoe

Explorer
Sure, but the concern may be with how easy it made it to share the contents of DDI. WotC seems to have much less of a problem with something like IPlay4E, which actively connects to it during use, but doesn't datamine and store the information outside the Compendium.

I will wait and see what the next Adventure Tool is going to be. On the DDI General forum there was a "soon" (whatever that is) answer at some point as to when the next Adventure Tool will be announced. It will be interesting if it overlaps with MasterPlan.

darjr

I crit!
I dunno, I don't want to derail this thread so I'll just agree to disagree, but I do see your point about a C&D being 'corporate' polite.

I think that if I had to be logged in to DDI live to use it It wouldn't be a big deal for me.

Charwoman Gene

Adventurer
We will have to see what happens. Ever since Apple successfully had the court agree that copying includes RAM, it is anyones guess at this point.

That wasn't Apple. It was Blizzard. I followed the cases closely. Psystar was "ignored" by Apple until the Blizzard/Glider WoW botting case made the RAM/copy precedent. Apple filed suit within a week or so of the Blizzard ruling.

Yes this off-topic.

Shemeska

Adventurer
I will wait and see what the next Adventure Tool is going to be. On the DDI General forum there was a "soon" (whatever that is) answer at some point as to when the next Adventure Tool will be announced. It will be interesting if it overlaps with MasterPlan.

The answer of "soon" has been lingering for a year or more on various topics. ;)

Lord Xtheth

First Post
Wow, this thread peaked my interest in master plan. A program that does some of the stuff WoTC promiced DDI would do 2 years ago? All I have to do is find a copy, and I'm golden!
I got my Fractal mapper to do the maps WoTC promiced,
I got my OpenRPG for the virtual table WoTC promiced
I got The character and monster builder (Yay WoTC coming through!)
Now I need the encounter builder WoTC promiced... This looks like it!
*begins hunting the internets for a copy that must be there*

firesnakearies

Explorer
I am sad and angry about this. All the king's horses and all the king's men at Wizards of the Court can't bring out the much-touted suite of DM digital aids that they promised years ago and have been presumably working on for years now, so they have to shut down the excellent efforts of community members who are making the game easier to run and play for many people, at no profit to themselves.

I guess it's understandable that WotC has to constantly lay off their highly-talented creative staff . . . they need to pay for more lawyers, after all!

I am sad and angry about this. All the king's horses and all the king's men at Wizards of the Court can't bring out the much-touted suite of DM digital aids that they promised years ago and have been presumably working on for years now, so they have to shut down the excellent efforts of community members who are making the game easier to run and play for many people, at no profit to themselves.

I guess it's understandable that WotC has to constantly lay off their highly-talented creative staff . . . they need to pay for more lawyers, after all!
The only advice I can give you is that life is more pleasant when you try not to be so cynical.

My fingers are crossed that someday soon, there will be awesome online tools. It's always been true before: if you wait long enough, something else cool is bound to come along. Just like Masterplan did, and the Character Builder, and RPGTools, for example. Time and technology are on our side.

Kafen

First Post
Not to be a WotC cheerleader, but what MP was doing was allowing for an easy way to share a huge amount of the DDI compendium information. I can understand why WotC would look down on such an app. That's a big distinction from a program like iplay4e which integrates with the DDI, but only does so "live", ie it gets all the info as needed from the server without storing it or allowing sharing.

What is the distinction between the two programs on a license level? Both extract the information to an offsite file. The only real distinction is the method of file transfer and file storage. Little Bobby aka my almost done character does not see a difference. Both Mastermind and iPlay4e offer modern content delivery though the browser gui on some level.

Anyway, my point is that I am wary of making time for a game system that actively discourages people from playing it - the side effect of hounding people for actually making the software for your game players. After the whole GURPS thing, I am not keen on buying books from a company that does it. And, the truth is that I am thinking about getting into 4e. So, stuff like this is a factor for myself. *shrug* I am sure some people can make an edition war bit out of it, but it's purely personal choice for myself.

Kafen

First Post
Bobby.png

Once you upload a file, you can export, link, print out sheets, and do tons of stuff. The point being - the data is stored on a third party server. The only difference is only the method of transfer.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads