D&D 3E/3.5 What will we miss from 3.5E?

Wormwood

Adventurer
As or this moment? Nothing.

While it is possible that a future preview could reveal that something I like about 3.5 is being ditched, as of yet that hasn't happened.

As of this writing, every preview of 4e rules and underlying design philosophy has met with my enthusiastic approval.

ps. I'm sure has hell not going to miss my DM's dozens of pages of 3.5 house rules.

hong said:
Eh, there will still be paragon kaiju carrion crawlers. They just won't be arrived at by the mechanical process of putting building blocks together, Lego-style.

And really, us gearheads have always gone and invented our own building blocks regardless of what was in the book, anyway.

amen!! tell it on the mountain top!!

the thing that will likely be missed most is being able to do whatever we want (fix, build, design) whenever we want.

3.5 is dead. long live 3.5!!!!

Aust Diamondew

First Post
Vancian spellcasting. Its grown on me over the years, even though I never read the books from which it was taken. It seems like D&Dism to me, sorta like HP, AC and the six ability scores.

That said I like other spell casting systems too.

Skyscraper

Explorer
At least initially, i'm probably going to miss some core classes and races, though moreso the classes. If they take out say the barbarian and bard and monk, i'll miss those.

I'm going to miss my weekly read on the WotC site on D&D matters (design and development for example), since although i appreciate the occasional read, i'm certainly not going to pay to read those articles on D&D Insider. I'll hang out somewhere else, such as, say... here :)

Still, i'm looking forward to 4E.

Sky

Masquerade

First Post
I'll miss any classes that are cut, but only until they're reintroduced in 4e form. I like gnomes, but I won't shed any tears if they disappear for a while.

Ultimately, though, it's hard to answer this question until we know what exactly will and will not be included. Ask me again in eight months ;)

Visceris

First Post
Aust Diamondew said:
Vancian spellcasting. Its grown on me over the years, even though I never read the books from which it was taken. It seems like D&Dism to me, sorta like HP, AC and the six ability scores.

That said I like other spell casting systems too.
Without the Vancian Spell System its just not DnD. Its just yet another generic fantasy RPG that should be ignored.

coyote6

Adventurer
I will probably miss whatever races & classes aren't immediately available (which will be a lot, since 3.x has generated lots of classes & races). Other than that, I have no idea at this point.

Atlatl Jones

Explorer
The character options that won't show up in 4e for a while, like psions, beguilers, and binders.

Other than that, not a thing. Judging from the previews, they've kept what I want them to keep, and ditched what I want them to ditch.

Remove ads