D&D (2024) What Will You Be Playtesting?

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Watching NerdImmersion react to the Origins playtest document, I was inspired to try out a Open Hand Monk using the new Unarmed Strike rules, and maybe the new gnome race. Maybe Tavern Brawler and Divine Magic Initiate.

I also want to make my human artificer using these rules. Take Crafter and either Skilled or Magic Initiate, or maybe also Tavern Brawler because she likes to punch things with her arcane prosthetic arm.

What characters will you play to test these new rules?

doctorbadwolf

I am testing the new inspiration rules in the games I'm running, effective immediately.
Nice!

I didn’t notice until nerdimmersion pointed it out in their video, new inspiration doesn’t stack with advantage. I wonder if that will remain the case, but I also hope so depending on what crits look like when we see more of the ideas they are kicking around.

doctorbadwolf

Wood Elf Shadow Monk with Primal Magic Initiate seems like it would be quite fun, too.

Hunters Mark, Shillelagh, and maybe dancing lights, or thorn whip. Wood Elf gets pass without trace at 5th level. shillelagh is mostly for fun, but if your wisdom is even with Dex it’s also just pretty good.

My Human Artificer also wants Magic Initiate Primal, possibly. Hit with Int via shillelagh, and her back story involves being partly raised by Druids.

Gnome (either) Bladesinger with Shillelagh via feat is a funny image. Little cane fighter packs a decent punch.

Gnome Rogue, deserves some testing, I think. Perhaps I’ll rebuild my forest gnome swashbuckler/Bladesinger. New Gnome Cunning plus Evasion is pretty great.

I might try out "feat instead of background feature" if I'm running an everybody gets a level one feat game. It seems like it does more to encourage people to make that feat thematic to their backstory. Background features are neat if the player happens to want a published background, but when the player wants a custom background they just create a burden to find or create a new one for a ribbon feature that may never come up.

While on the whole I'm probably more positive than negative on the materials presented so far (at least with the caveat that the complete non-starter no-crits rules are easily ignored and always will be if they somehow survive so I just don't think about that), no "I want this in my game right now" rules have yet appeared for me.

Horwath

Legend
We already have campaigns that have level 1 bonus feat.
Nothing broke in the game cause of it.
Hell, me might adopt that UA with 4th level bonus feat also.

TheSword

Legend
We’ll be testing all the core elements. Obviously won’t play with every feat and race but we will have a flavour.

All the rules changes though for certain… why the hell not?

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
An idea I had for a Human Champion with the Musician and Inspiring Leader feats to be some kind of Inspiration machine.

I also think I'll houserule a little thing where if all players have Inspiration, they can all spend it at the same moment to do some big team combo, pick one:
  • Sudden Recovery . As a bonus action, all allies within 60 feet can immediately make saving throws against every effect they're suffering that allows a save at the start or end of their turns.
  • Dawn of Victory. For the next 10 minutes, whenever an enemy you can see is reduced to 0 hit points, you and each of your allies within 30 feet of you gain temporary hit points equal to double your proficiency bonus.
  • Pillar of Confidence. All allies you can see within 60 feet of you each gain one extra action to use on their individual next turns. The action goes away if not used before the end of your next turn. the action can be used only to make one weapon attack or to take the Dash or Disengage action.
  • Victory Before Battle. When you roll initiative, you can use this ability to grant yourself and up to five creatures of your choice within 60 feet of you a +10 bonus to initiative.
  • Environmental Adaptation. As an action, all allies ignores the effects of extreme heat or cold (but not cold or fire damage) for the next hour.

Last edited:

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
We’ll be testing all the core elements. Obviously won’t play with every feat and race but we will have a flavour.

All the rules changes though for certain… why the hell not?
From a scientific standpoint, you want to change one variable at a time and test the results, without other changes muddying the results. But that level of rigor is probably unnecessary here.

Remove ads