D&D General What Would Be Your "Iconic D&D Campaign?"

Reynard

Legend
I dont necessarily know what I would do if I tried to design it ahead of time, but I do know what I did do in the closest real world experience I had.

I ran the following campaign for about 10 years, bridging 2E and 3E. It covers 2 generations of PCs but is essentially one long campaign.

(We currently still play in the same world but it is that world's "modern age" and us a super hero campaign using M&M and inspired by golden and silver age Marvel through the lens of Ellis, Morrison, Waid and Busiek. Anyway...)

The first PCs were young would-be adventurers living in a backwater village on the edge of "civilized" lands. The village was established by adventurers so there was an annual coming of age ceremony involving going on generally pretty minor and safe quests. But one of the village leaders (each of whom got to define a quest) put in a truly dangerous one. The PCs drew a simple quest but when they returned to discover a group of their friends had drawn the bad quest, they hiked off to the Haunted Castle to save them. This set the tone of the PCs being not only self motivated but positioning themselves as people destined to be important in the billage.

The campaign went on and grew in scope. There was the issue of "asian elves" and a doppelganger conspiracy and gods that had been locked out from the world and the local ruler grasping for magical power from the past. It all came to a head at the end of the 2E era when the PCs woke the apocalyptic Great Beast of the Earth (an impossibility large and powerful red dragon) which existed to knock down civilization whenever it dared rise.

The PCs defeated the creature but there were many questions still unanswered. That generation retired and some 20 years later their children went on the same ritual adventure and found themselves tangled in all those dangling plot threads. The difference was that the older generation existed as NPCs and provided an emotional foundation for this campaign. When siblings died, as adventurers sometimes do, there was real gravitas and honest pain.

The same themes suffused the campaign and they uncovered the true nature of the doppelganger conspiracy and the missing "10th God" (there had originally been one for each alignment). They made contact with the farther reaches of the campaign world, from the conquistador halfling Hin Nation to the lands of the pharaonic God King and so on. Eventually in order to protect the world from the mad god of magic they were forced to shut their world off from arcane energy and let it slip middle Earth like into a mundane world. But they won.

It is important to note I planned very little of this. Almost everything emerged not only from play, but from saying "yes" to my players.the very first session I said "No elves and no ninjas" and one player immediately made an elf ninja. Instead of shutting him down I ended up agreeing and adding a whole history and mythology to the game that wouldn't have existed otherwise.

Shiroiken

Legend
There is an old Dungeon adventure called "Secret of the Towers" that would be an ideal concept to create an iconic campaign. The simplified premise is that 12 towers were built around the world (or part of the world if you want to keep things unified) during the Age of Legends. These towers, now abandoned ruins, have gateways connecting them to 5 other towers, creating a network of near instant communication and travel. The problem is that the creators are gone, no one knows about them, and over time several of the gateways have closed or malfunctioned.

The party plays at apprentice tier around a normal starting point. They find the first tower after they've explored most of the initial starting region, but that tower only connects to another tower. This opens up a new area for the party to explore, and new people/cultures to meet. Eventually the party finds a third tower that connects to 2 more, opening more of the world. The towers are in many different environments, so all terrain types can be used. Eventually the party finds someone who's manipulating the towers in an effort to control them, and wants to use them to take over the world by sending his armies across the lands.

A campaign I'm brainstorming at the moment. I've been toying with the premise for years now. I even ran thr first fraction of it in 4e but that fell apart do to real world things.

Setting: one of my own design. It's a mixture, in tone, to FR and GH. I'm still building the world but the western coast of one of the continents has been conceptualized.

Location: a frontier style port town on the upper west coast of said continent. Think Washington state and Oregon.

Story: As cliche as it is the players are jobing doing some guard duty in this port town. The players are sent to check on a guard post along the main highway that hasnt communicated in weeks. When they return the queen has died under mysterious circumstances. I still have some details to work out but the players will investigate the happenings. All this will send the party cross country until they discover the queens advisor has machinations on becoming a lich. That's as far as I've gotten. It will definitely snowball from there. The lich will vex the party for a while until they uncover a cabal of wizards trying to resurrect an ancient god.

Its basic, I mean it's the skeleton of an idea. My inspiration has been the classic sword and sorcery feel and the grim dark feel. I feel it has the potential to hit a lot of the classic D&D tropes.

Everyone feel free to add to it. I'm in the process of detailing the city and the rest of the continent. The idea is there I just dont have a lot of free time to really flesh the world out.

- - Character turnover, be it by death, retirement, cycling, or whatever means; this includes multiple parties that mingle and interweave every now and then, and multiple PCs per player
Great insight here. I've only had it happen once, and it was great! Never reached past 8th level, as everyone else was heading to twenty. Just made a new character. It was natural, and fit the storyline very well. (The character found his children that were kidnapped. Stopped adventuring the second he got them back; well, one back... :()

werecorpse

Adventurer
Lots of foreshadowing, I mean heaps and heaps. Dreams, lair like effects on the environments. Bad guys need to take a leaf out of the crazier Dr Evil/Bond Villian style plans.

I expanded and adapated Night Below a 2e campaign for 1st to 15th level into a 1st to 20th level 3/3.5e campaign that I ran fortnightly for 6-7 years.

I am hoping to eventually run a Tyranny of Dragons, Storm Kings Thunder mashup with maybe some princes of apocalypse and trip to Avernus action going on. That seems to cover most iconic stuff

aco175

Legend
Iconic setting: Some sort of European feel, Greyhawkish with poor villages and low magic feel

Iconic monsters: Dragons- of course. Basic undead under control of demon-worshiping cultists. orcs and goblins and lots of the beast monsters like worgs and ax beaks.

Iconic adventures: Some basic dungeon crawls with updates to the sandbox so that PCs can explore several area that contain various types of monsters. It may not be totally logical, but you know what your getting into when you enter Goblin Forest or the Tomb of Skeletons.

Remove ads