D&D (2024) What would you actually want from an arcane half-caster in 1D&D PHB?

What would you actually want from an arcane half-caster in 1D&D?

see

Pedantic Grognard
I still don't get people declaring that a "true Gish" is utterly unlike the original gish, which as an AD&D fighter/magic-user was the epitome of "two totally separate things they’re kinda good at". It seems a choice of terminology designed to maximize confusion.

mellored

Legend
"two totally separate things they’re kinda good at".
See. I don't want them to be totally separate things.

I want integrated, like making a giant ice blade and swinging it.
ice-make-sword.gif

see

Pedantic Grognard
See. I don't want them to be totally separate things.
That's fine. My issue is not the desire, but the use of inherently confusing terminology to express the desire.

A definition of "true gish" under which the original, word-coined-specifically-to-describe-it "gish" is not a "true gish" is just ridiculous. Pick an actual example of what you want from fiction or the history of RPGs, and say you want a true <whatever the example's actual name was>.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
I don't want a Gish.
Gish is based on the Githyanki concept of older editions of a character who has the choice of attacking like a fighter or casting like a wizard.

I don't want the Magus

The Magus is based n the concept of using spellstrikes to make spells use a weapon attack instead of a saving throw.

What I'm looking for isn't the Artificer or Bard or Eldritch Knight.

Again as the Gish, the Artificer and Bard are not combining the arcane magic with another element of the character.

What I am looking for is 1 of 2 things. Or both.
  1. A class that lets you make the Attack action and swap 1 or more attacks for 1 or more arcane spells which can affect the caster and/or their other attacks.
  2. A class that can casts an arcane spell and make 1 or 2 attacks or a Dodge as part of that spells' resolution
Another with spells designed to be casted on the same turn as combat actions.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I don't want a Gish.
Gish is based on the Githyanki concept of older editions of a character who has the choice of attacking like a fighter or casting like a wizard.

I don't want the Magus
The Magus is based n the concept of using spellstrikes to make spells use a weapon attack instead of a saving throw.

What I'm looking for isn't the Artificer or Bard or Eldritch Knight.
Again as the Gish, the Artificer and Bard are not combining the arcane magic with another element of the character.

What I am looking for is 1 of 2 things. Or both.
  1. A class that lets you make the Attack action and swap 1 or more attacks for 1 or more arcane spells which can affect the caster and/or their other attacks.
  2. A class that can casts an arcane spell and make 1 or 2 attacks or a Dodge as part of that spells' resolution
Another with spells designed to be casted on the same turn as combat actions.
Eh, why not just expand the mechanics concept of the blade cantrips into leveled spells?

I mean also the other stuff, but the core of the class should be making attacks that are both a weapon attack and a spell. A spell that involves making a weapon attack.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Eh, why not just expand the mechanics concept of the blade cantrips into leveled spells?

I mean also the other stuff, but the core of the class should be making attacks that are both a weapon attack and a spell. A spell that involves making a weapon attack.
That's option 2.

It's the simplest path.

Leveled spells that grant weapon attacks with arcane themed rider effects.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero

Wouldn't that just be solved by adding a bunch of new spells that arcane tricksters, blade singers and eldritch knights could all use?

Heck, I invented a bunch of those back in the 3E days, like turning a sword slash into a ranged attack (which I think I stole from the Al-Qadim computer game).

Last edited:

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Wouldn't that just be solved by adding a bunch of new spells that arcane tricksters, blade dancers and eldritch knights could all use?

Heck, I invented a bunch of those back in the 3E days, like turning a sword slash into a ranged attack (which I think I stole from the Al-Qadim computer game).
If the 1/3 casters had enough spell slots to be doing it most of the time and also have utility magic, maybe. The Bladesinger is a wizard. Spend all your spells surviving the front line and you still won’t do enough damage for enemies to care that you can’t be hit. Or, onky spend part of the time in the melee, and use your spell slots to actually wreak havoc on the field of battle.

The rogue and fighter are always a rogue and a fighter.

Idk why this is hard to grasp. We don’t want to multiclass into a gish, we just want to play a character whose whole class identity is being an arcane warrior. 🤷‍♂️

Remove ads