D&D (2024) What would you actually want from an arcane half-caster in 1D&D PHB?

What would you actually want from an arcane half-caster in 1D&D?

ECMO3

Hero
What would you actually want from an arcane half-caster in 1D&D PHB?

Tell me if there are missing choices I need to add, I'll be around for 20-30 minutes.

I would like a Paladin subclass as an arcane half-caster Gish. Allow them to select Wizard, Bard or Sorc cantrips with blessed warrior, have an arcane focused channel divinity and then arcane spells on their spell list.

Another option would be a Cleric build. Take the protector aura for weapons and armor and then for subclass fold in stuff and spells from the Arcana Cleric from 5e. Probably allow a couple Sorcerer cantrips too as part of the subclass.

I think either of these would fit nicely and provide some alternatives to the plethora of current 5E Gishes.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I wouldn’t mind a half-caster (artificer style) Bard with a solid spell list, decent armaments, and expanded upon inspiration mechanics that let them insult someone into submission.

I want an Irish fili, a warrior-poet, and a keeper of lore.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Wouldn't that just be solved by adding a bunch of new spells that arcane tricksters, blade dancers and eldritch knights could all use?

Heck, I invented a bunch of those back in the 3E days, like turning a sword slash into a ranged attack (which I think I stole from the Al-Qadim computer game).
Yep. Quite a few EK and AT exclusive bonus actions spells that pair well with an attack action could work well.

Like AT should have a bonus action illusion spell that allows to sneak attack without advantage.

I still don't get people declaring that a "true Gish" is utterly unlike the original gish, which as an AD&D fighter/magic-user was the epitome of "two totally separate things they’re kinda good at". It seems a choice of terminology designed to maximize confusion.
tbh I think that the term 'gish' is pretty useless these days. It's been stretched to include everything with any semblance of magic+weapon.

A paladin is a gish. A bard is a gish. A warlock is a gish. Timmy the gnome wizard with 8 Con, who hit a goblin with a dagger seconds before being over-killed in the first encounter of LMoP is a gish.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
"Gish" started off as a bad term and has just gotten worse, since it doesn't actually describe anything, so everyone just assumes everyone else understands what they mean by it.

The lone exception: when your character is a githyanki. Gish your brains out, in that case.

I voted basicly the magus, but I really mean a half caster half martial with at least some spells that it gets that others don't that interact with weapons or attacks.

Remove ads