Level Up (A5E) What would you call a 'Warlord' class? (+)

What would you call a 'Warlord' class?

• Warlord

Votes: 46 35.7%
  • Commander

Votes: 32 24.8%
  • Marshall

Votes: 48 37.2%
  • Tactician

Votes: 31 24.0%
  • General

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Leader

Votes: 7 5.4%
  • Captain

Votes: 15 11.6%
  • Envoy

Votes: 7 5.4%
  • Sheriff

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Warden

Votes: 20 15.5%
  • Other (post in comments)

Votes: 9 7.0%

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Warmarshall / Warmarshal
Battlemarshall / Battlemarshal

The more I look at 'marshall' the more odd the word looks!
I’d rather the word War was kept out and just use Marshal.
There are Marshals in racing sports and in Parades and in royal courts, such Marshals exist to Organise people and enforce rules. Combats one important approach

FireLance

Legend
I'd like to suggest Constable, for the sheer ambiguity of whether it refers to someone of low or high rank. Copied and pasted from the Etymology section for Constable on Wikipedia:

Historically, the title comes from the Latin comes stabuli (attendant to the stables, literally count of the stable) and originated from the Roman Empire; originally, the constable was the officer responsible for keeping the horses of a lord or monarch.

The title was imported to the monarchies of medieval Europe, and in many countries developed into a high military rank and great officer of State (e.g. the Constable of France, in French Connétable de France, who was the commander-in-chief of all royal armed forces (second to the king) until prime minister Cardinal Richelieu abolished the charge in 1627).

Most constables in modern jurisdictions are law enforcement officers; in the United Kingdom, the Commonwealth of Nations and some Continental European countries, a constable is the lowest rank of police officer (it is also, when preceded by the term 'sworn', used to describe any police officer with arrest and other powers), while in the United States a constable is generally an elected peace officer with lesser jurisdiction than a sheriff. However, in the Channel Islands a constable is an elected office-holder at the parish level.

Historically, a constable could also refer to a castellan, the officer charged with the defense of a castle. Even today, there is a Constable of the Tower of London.

An equivalent position is that of marshal, which derives from Old High German marah "horse" and schalh "servant", and originally meant "stable keeper", which has a similar etymology.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I will say that I also do like WotC's selection of 'Banneret' as their warlordy non-Realms specific name for the Purple Dragon Knight.

The visual of following and circling the standard bearer on the field of battle works for me personally, and thus using that identity for this particular type of class satisfies my particular itch for this concept. And while I don't like 'Standard Bearer' (as I am one of those people who also don't like compound words or two-word phrases for class names), 'Banneret' gives me personally that same positive feeling towards the name of the concept and I think the word itself also just kinda looks cool. And because it's not a word that has baggage to other things, it allow me to just see it as this class.

If we used something like 'Captain', all I'd see every time I saw the word was Captain America. And while he could very well be the quintessential "warlord" type in popular media... if your word choice immediately remove you from the genre in which you are trying to describe something... you've probably made a bad choice. The same way people throwing 'Jedi' around as the quintessential 'arcane warrior' concept just lessens the concept of an arcane warrior in D&D for me.

MarkB

Legend
If I were going with a rank-based name for the class it'd be Sarge. Not the person who's in charge of the squad, but the one who knows their strengths and weaknesses, and organises them for maximum effectiveness.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I’d rather the word War was kept out and just use Marshal.
There are Marshals in racing sports and in Parades and in royal courts, such Marshals exist to Organise people and enforce rules. Combats one important approach
Well that may be the straw that changes it for me... Marshal was a badass heroic real world figure and the implications of breadth of applicability all combine to over-ride the impoverished 3.x class of the same name.

Remove ads