D&D 5E What would you change?

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I've already changed a lot of stuff / used variant rules for my own campaigns. There's absolutely nothing I think the game itself should change because there's no reason why I should think my own preferences are superior to the preferences of other people.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
I'd get rid of skills and move the core class ability skills into that class. Then I'd redo healing. Rewrite the MM from the ground up with the assumption of feats and magic and higher AC and HP for badass solo type monsters.

toucanbuzz

No rule is inviolate
I'd like to see weapons and armor choices mean something (again), as an optional rule (like Feats, etc.), similar to the AD&D weapon vs. armor type rules. As an optional rule, of course, because more rules = slower play.

As it stands, there's little more than flavor preference to pick arms and armor.

Greg K

Legend
I'd like to see weapons and armor choices mean something (again), as an optional rule (like Feats, etc.), similar to the AD&D weapon vs. armor type rules. As an optional rule, of course, because more rules = slower play.

As it stands, there's little more than flavor preference to pick arms and armor.

Something would be nice, but I would want something other than the AD&D 1e weapon vs. armor rules. Even, Gary didn't use them despite putting them in the rules.

toucanbuzz

No rule is inviolate
Something would be nice, but I would want something other than the AD&D 1e weapon vs. armor rules. Even, Gary didn't use them despite putting them in the rules.
Yeah, we tried it and quickly forgot to apply it. In reality, some weapons are simply superior to another, and the only reason you'd take a particular weapon is if you didn't have access to the other. Like many ideas, might work in a video game, but in live play, not so well.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
I've already changed a lot of stuff / used variant rules for my own campaigns. There's absolutely nothing I think the game itself should change because there's no reason why I should think my own preferences are superior to the preferences of other people.

Blasphemy! This is the internet dammit, of course your preferences are superior! But not superior to mine.... ;)

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!

It would be nice for running a bit more realistic game. The fantasy ideal of the sword being the ultimate weapon doesn't mesh well with historical combat against plate armored foes.

Quickleaf

Legend

Absolutely this. Well said, DEFCON! There are things I have opinions about (e.g. the sorcerer & fighter classes should be redesigned, there should be greater emphasis on the interaction & exploration pillars, there should be an option for non-spellcasting rangers, traps need radical redesign, there should be more INT / CHA / STR saves, 4e's minion / elite monsters should have appeared in some capacity, more options/tactics/upgrades for monsters facing very skilled/optimized parties, etc.), but ultimately 5th edition's designers did an admirable job of balancing the desires of a very wide player base. And that's the way it should be.

If I – 37 year old who favors "story first" and has OSR affections – liked everything about 5e, that would probably be a sign that the design was too niche and needed broader appeal.

Something I would change is the attuned magic items would be designed so they always have a minor magic property if your not attuned to the item.
So most magic weapons would function as a +1 weapon when your not attuned to it.

If I would be re designing the classes I might consider to giving each class a ability to use healing hitdice for something else then healing.

Remove ads