What would you characterise as your primary style of playing D&D?

What is your normal style of playing D&D?

• In short adventures (1-6 months)

Votes: 36 15.4%
  • In mini-campaigns (7-12 months)

Votes: 70 29.9%
  • In a campaign (1-4 years)

Votes: 97 41.5%
  • In a long campaign (5+ years)

Votes: 31 13.2%

blackshirt5

First Post
When I get the new campaign I'm putting together, well, all together, it's gonna be a huge, epic world(eventually) and hopefully span several years of gaming(although probably not with the same set of characters).

Severion

First Post
The same group for the last six years... they rarely last more than 1 year before causing a TPK. No complaints though, it lets me try new things, though it can kill my long term plans. This Omega world campaign is looking promising.

chatdemon said:
My style is a long (almost 20 years now) campaign, in which i run 'chapters' centered around new parties of characters involved in a different focus of the overall story. Whenever one party is ready to retire to NPChood or the player's get bored, or a big change in our player roster causes a breakdown in the party, they roll up new characters and we start over, usually pursuing a side plot of the previous chapter that I develop into a full blown campaign chapter.

It's worked well so far.

That is how I run my Darksun campaign. You get the sense of a big campaign but get the chance to play multiple characters. I keep a very detailed timeline which allows me to interweave the plots enough that one can sees the actions of one party effect the actions of another group. Seems more real to life that way.

I picked "Campaign" because my current group has been playing for about 19 months. We're 10-12 level, and I don't think we'll go "Epic" with these characters. It's definitely one long story, but with the rapid advancement of 3e, I don't think it will go longer than 3 years (max).

Timothy

First Post
Would love to play campaigns

With my old group, players got bored, DM got a better idea or the DM would change/leave, so we were stuck to game of 1-6 months

But currently I'm playing City of the spider queen (CotSQ) with my new group, and we hope to finisch it, and that will take a while.

2WS-Steve

First Post
Before 3e most of my real campaigns lasted 6-12 months; often there'd be a bit of switching of game systems early on. With 3e my campaigns have been long-running, over a year for both of them. I think one reason for this is that the level system does a better job sustaining long term gaming than most of the point-based systems I'd been running previously. In most point-based systems you stop getting the cool powers after about 3 months and it's just number movement; also, few games have the vast amount of support material that one has with the d20 system.

AngelTears

First Post
Most of the campaigns I have been in run on and off. The longest single running campaign has been GURPS Space, which we played for three years straight once a week.

My average for a campaign is three sessions before the campaign gets "tabled" until later.

-Angel Tears

John Crichton

First Post
Option 2

I voted on how things have gone recently when I run. The current runs have gone from 3-9 months in length. Earlier in my gaming history campaign would run for years. I intend to return to that when I can get the right group together who can play consistantly. Now, I try to run shorter adventures to keep things new and not leave the players hanging.

Jeph

Explorer
I'm almost exclusively 2 or 3 session, non-DnD, d20 game adventures. So far I've done 1 normal DnD, 1 OA, 1 far-future classless thingummy, and still doing a wuxia-ish psionics adventure.

As a character, I tend to play in longer-lasting campaigns. But as a GM, I prefer shorter stories.

Agamon

Adventurer
My current campaign is starting its 4th year. I'm hoping to wrap it up before the start of 2004, but it may end up going 1 1/2 to 2 more years.

It's definitely the way to play. The only bad thing would be new games/campaigns/campaign ideas that you want to try during that time, but can't.

Remove ads