• COMING SOON! -- Level Up: Advanced 5th Edition! Level up your 5E game! The standalone advanced 5E tabletop RPG adds depth and diversity to the game you love!

D&D 5E What Would You Do?

Zardnaar

Legend
Few weeks ago I had a new player join. Well the gamestore owner asked if I had room and I was willing to go to 6 players (my max).

I asked him if he could make a new character vin half an hour. He said yes, went to McDonald's and came back 25 minutes later.

Hmmmnn.

Time to rush him. Basically asked him what he wanted to play settled on a light cleric. I pulled out a character shee and he was futzing around with some app.

Basically I wrote up his character. He made all the decisions (background, name etc) and rolled the dice but I've memorized a lot of things.

Completed it in under 10 minutes. I told him he can transfer that to his app and change anything he likes for week two.

Time was short hence why I did it. Option B would have been cone back next week with your character.

Awesome guy great addition to the party and by week 3 or 4 he was looking at changing some spells as I just wrote down good ones and some out of combat utility type spells (light, guidance, enhance ability).

So good find fun all round just wondering what others would do in this situation? Ten minutes to make a character go!!

Argyle King

Legend
It sounds as though everything worked out well. He has a character which he appears to be happy with, and it sounds as though you have a player which is a good addition to the table.

From the DM perspective, I would have told him to come back when he's ready to play, but I'll admit I'm easily aggravated by people who don't take my game seriously. If they can't put in the minimal effort, that's not my problem.

If you're asking for a quick PC I'd play, I'd probably go with a soldier Fighter/Battlemaster. Depending on level, probably only takes about 5-10 minutes to put together.

Oofta

Title? I don't need no stinkin' title.
A whole ten minutes? Slacker. I would just grab one of the half dozen PCs I already have written up that I will probably never get a chance to play, adjust ability scores if you don't use point buy and off we'd go.

Assuming first level of course. Higher levels get a bit trickier, but even then I don't care if my PC is perfectly optimal so I'd just grab the first path that looked interesting.

DEFCON 1

Legend
If I personally was running a game in a game store and my players consisted of people who come into the store to play, I probably would have a supply of pre-gens printed up and in my bag for just these occasions. Not that a DM should have pre-gens with them... only that I myself would feel more comfortable having them on my person just in case. I tend to be an over-preparer of gaming supplies when I DM out of my own home (like at cons and such) so I always have a half-dozen sets of dice, pencils, pre-gen characters, tokens, scrap paper etc. so that any person who shows up can get up and running and feel like they have everything they might need in front of them in a minute or two.

ccs

41st lv DM
I'd grab a handful of d6 & roll my stats while you told me any restrictions/details I need to know about.

pming

Legend
Hiya!
Time to rush him. Basically asked him what he wanted to play settled on a light cleric. I pulled out a character shee and he was futzing around with some app.
Welcome to System Mastery? ;)

Yeah, it's easy once you have memorized all the important stuff...and much of the unimportant stuff. At my 'peak' back in the mid-eighties, I could make any PC (F, MU, C, T, Halfling, Elf, Dwarf), in under 5 minutes....without looking at the book. At all. All the stuff was in my brain; XP needed, Saving Throws, Spells, Special Abilities, even Equipment WITH Encumberance/Weight!

There is a 'complex' game called Powers & Perils that I play frequently. The first time I tried to make a Character it took my two days. DAYS! Lots of confusion. Now? I can make a Character for P&P in about 20 minutes. Maybe less. Typically it takes about 2 hours or so I'd guess, for someone who knows the rules to a normal degree.

With 5e, yup. I can totally see creating a PC in under 10 minutes. Probably in under 5 minutes if you don't do the time consuming stuff and just 'fill that in as you play' (re: spell list and equipment mostly, but also specific class/race stuff. As long as you have a PHB to use immediately, it's no different that looking it up on your character sheet, tbh.

^_^

Paul L. Ming

Assuming there was supposed to be a question in there:

If I'm running a game at a store and there's an understanding the the owner may ask me to add a player who just showed up: I'd have a handful of pregens in my bag just in case. Either a selection of basic concepts (built to be as simple to play as possible: ie a champion fighter, a blast-focused warlock, stuff like that) or maybe just make one for each of the classes, based on the picture in the PHB. That way if someone shows up who wants to try the game, I can pull out a sheet, explain what a d20 is, and we can get started.

When I was running an open table, I always tried to have a good selection of pregens on hand for people to pick from. Sometimes they'd get depleted and the options would be a bit limited (sorry person that had to choose between two rogues and a fighter that one time).

I was working with a fixed start time (and there was only so early I could arrive between finishing work, eating, and walking the dog). So chances are I had all of 5-10 minutes before it was time to start gaming - helping them make a character from scratch just wasn't an option.

If I'm running a game at a store and there's an understanding the the owner may ask me to add a player who just showed up: I'd have a handful of pregens in my bag just in case.

Zardnaar

Legend
prevents not a bad idea. I wasn't planning on adding a 6th player. I'm not running an open game as such though.

I'm capping it at 6 there's 15 or so quiet time of the year but that can creep up to 30 or so and the students are back in town around about now.

No D&D this week due to Covid alert levels.

aco175

Legend
I would think that if I am playing at a game store, I would have some new players coming and going, onlookers and lurkers, maybe some other distractions. I cannot blame the owner to ask if someone can join a game if he has been asked by the player.

Some of my factors on the new player is how old he is and how long he has been playing. My teenage son takes some time making PCs, but I could make one in 10 minutes. I would be flexible in the next few weeks as he grows into the PC, especially if you are saying that he is working out as a good player. Some may be feeling part of the group after a few weeks and feeling out the other players and DM personality and style.

So good find fun all round just wondering what others would do in this situation? Ten minutes to make a character go!!
Without more information on the details of the game and the situation... I'll pick race and class. Then we can START PLAYING. Everything else can be filled in as we go. I don't need to spend hours or days creating "a build" to play and enjoy D&D. If I ever do I'll likely bow out and play something/somewhere else.

Zardnaar

Legend
Without more information on the details of the game and the situation... I'll pick race and class. Then we can START PLAYING. Everything else can be filled in as we go. I don't need to spend hours or days creating "a build" to play and enjoy D&D. If I ever do I'll likely bow out and play something/somewhere else.

That was the basic idea. Get something playable sort details out later.

6ENow!

I don't debate opinions.
So good find fun all round just wondering what others would do in this situation?
Glad it worked out for you, but for me when he got back from McDonald's I would have told him to forget it. (Now, if you knew he was heading out first, then fine, but if he asks like "Can I join?" and then takes off--nah...)

And as soon as the phone/app came out, forget about it.

If he stuck around, I would have told him to make his PC and join when he's ready.

Zardnaar

Legend
Glad it worked out for you, but for me when he got back from McDonald's I would have told him to forget it. (Now, if you knew he was heading out first, then fine, but if he asks like "Can I join?" and then takes off--nah...)

And as soon as the phone/app came out, forget about it.

If he stuck around, I would have told him to make his PC and join when he's ready.

I generally give people a chance generally you know by session 2 if it's gonna work out.

He was an older fella played 2E last and I understand about the good as we go get a kebab.

6ENow!

I don't debate opinions.
I generally give people a chance generally you know by session 2 if it's gonna work out.

He was an older fella played 2E last and I understand about the good as we go get a kebab.
Depending on the person, where we are in the session, I would be more inclined to invite him to sit in and work on a PC for next time. That way he can see how I run my tables, what is going on, what the other players are like, etc. and maybe get an idea of what sort of PC he wants to play.

Generally, I don't let people jump in during a session.

Zardnaar

Legend
Depending on the person, where we are in the session, I would be more inclined to invite him to sit in and work on a PC for next time. That way he can see how I run my tables, what is going on, what the other players are like, etc. and maybe get an idea of what sort of PC he wants to play.

Generally, I don't let people jump in during a session.

Generally neither do I. Made an exception for a variety of reasons (vibe, 2E between, need 1 more reliable player etc).

Level Up!

An Advertisement

Advertisement4