What would you like to see brought back from older editions?

Edena_of_Neith

First Post
Item Saving Throws.
In other words, if a Disintegrate Spell (of the old kind) hits you, and *you* fail your save, prepare to cry a lot.

Magical items should have greater bonuses on their saves than in 1E and 2E, in my opinion. Such as +5 per plus of the sword, instead of +1 per +1. After all, magical items are rare (hopefully) and are hard won (hopefully) and should be treated as special (the PCs should be treating them with reverence, not as extra ordinance.)

So, if you are wearing ordinary plate armor, and a Fireball hits you, prepare to roast.
If it's magical plate armor, you'll probably remain nice and cool.
If it's ordinary paper or parchment, then it's probably ashes. If it's a spellbook (that counts as magical ...) or magical paper, it probably is still around after that Fireball (even though nearby objects of solid hardwood are vaporized and solid metal is liquified.)

And yes, if you are carrying (somehow) 50 flasks of greek fire on your person, and you are hit with magical fire, and you fail your own save, then that is Your Fate Decreed.

glass

(he, him)
Irda Ranger said:
Mouseferatu said:
I'd like to see more of a focus on non-dungeon adventuring. Not that dungeons should be ignored--far from!--but I'd like to see them presented as one option among many, both in terms of style (hack-n-slash vs. mystery vs. political) and environment.

I'd like to see clerics and other divine characters more heavily influenced by their deity. Not to the extent of the old spheres, but more so than domains.

I'd like to see some--not all, because I know it's not everyone's cup of healing potion, but some--art revert back to classic fantasy and (where possible) historical accuracy.

And as I said in another thread, I want to see a return of the notion of keeps, land, followers, and territory for high-level characters. It need not be the default, but I'd like to see sufficient rules to make it a viable option.
All of this.
Ditto!

glass.

Remove ads