• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What would you like to see happen with FR?

What would you like to see happen with Faerun?

• Ignore the spellplague altogether

Votes: 40 29.6%
  • Fill the gaps in lore for last 100 years

Votes: 18 13.3%
  • Support for all/most of the different ages

Votes: 52 38.5%
  • Time jump ahead again and create a new realm once more

Votes: 10 7.4%
  • I don't care because I don't play FR

Votes: 39 28.9%
  • I don't care because I develop my FR differently anyway

Votes: 12 8.9%
  • Something else (explain?)

Votes: 18 13.3%

D'karr

Adventurer
I could care less what they do with the Realms. I have enough material for it to run campaigns for several lifetimes.

Hassassin

First Post
I would prefer they support multiple points of time (pre-ToT, post-ToT-pre-SP, post-SP).

I can live with one of the pre-SP time points, but if it continues after SP - either from where 4e left off or after another jump - I'll probably just continue playing in 3e Realms. That's OK, we can still play just fine, but I won't be buying anything.

Mattachine

Adventurer
I have a friend who is a huge FR fan. He didn't like the Spellplague and its consequences for the "world", the novels, or D&D. Yet he feels bound to use the current FR setting, because that is cannon now. He can't imagine not being in line with canon.

I am glad that I don't feel that way, but my friend is not alone in his feelings.

D'karr

Adventurer
I have a friend who is a huge FR fan. He didn't like the Spellplague and its consequences for the "world", the novels, or D&D. Yet he feels bound to use the current FR setting, because that is cannon now. He can't imagine not being in line with canon.

I am glad that I don't feel that way, but my friend is not alone in his feelings.

I'm really glad I've never felt that way about anything published. I'd hate to be a slave to other people's settings.

Hassassin

First Post

Well, if you like to read novels it's not as if you can pick the setting. So the readers sort of have a stronger interest in what happens to the setting.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
I really don't understand the people who say they want the Realms to go back to the Gray Box - that is, to be a loosely-developed setting with little history, few characters, and a largely undefined map.

Quite simply, we have that already. In fact, we've had a lot of that already. Most other campaigns settings have been written this way, to say nothing of how incredibly easy it is to make a homebrew setting that has minimal development.

What made the Realms great - before the Spellplague killed it - was just how incredibly detailed and nuanced the setting was. Yes, that was a problem for some people (who apparently live in fear of "canon lawyers"), but for others it was the only setting that had a great depth of material that could be used to flesh out the world. Making that degree of detail takes time and energy, something not every GM has in abundance, and so it was nice that there was a single setting that did that.

But for some people, having even one campaign world go that far is too much, and they need to stamp it out.

(Okay, that came out more rant-y than I expected, but it's just frustrating to me that some people hate FR's degree of verisimilitude, which is something I always thought was a good thing for a setting to have.)

Janaxstrus

First Post
If I was in charge?

I would wipe the last 4 years of FR and the attempted destruction of it via Spellplague and 4e off the books.

Pull a "It was all a dream, and we are back to where it should be" move on it.

I enjoy the novels as good mindless fun, I love the setting for it's history and how fleshed out it is. I don't care that there are dozens of high level pcs around.
Never understood why people hate on it so much, if you don't like it, don't play in it. I don't like robots in my D&D, but I rarely long for the destruction of Eberron.

Separate the novels from the campaign setting.

Delete all of the novels' named PCs from the Campaign Setting.

Reset the CS to the Grey Box era, and keep it static -- do not advance the timeline. Advance outward, not forward, by gradually publishing detailed setting books for each region, reserving some specific areas for DMs.

Falling Icicle

Adventurer
I think they should support different eras, that way people who want to play in the 3e era can, and those who liked the 4e post apocalypse world can play in that era. They made a huge mistake by alienating those who liked the FR the way it was and by changing the world in 4e so much that it is almost unrecognizable. But it would be just as big of a mistake to alienate the people who like the FR the way it is now. And there's no reason to. Just let both groups play in the setting they each enjoy.

Remove ads