What would you like to see happen with FR?

What would you like to see happen with Faerun?

• Ignore the spellplague altogether

Votes: 40 29.6%
  • Fill the gaps in lore for last 100 years

Votes: 18 13.3%
  • Support for all/most of the different ages

Votes: 52 38.5%
  • Time jump ahead again and create a new realm once more

Votes: 10 7.4%
  • I don't care because I don't play FR

Votes: 39 28.9%
  • I don't care because I develop my FR differently anyway

Votes: 12 8.9%
  • Something else (explain?)

Votes: 18 13.3%

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous
I've been wondering, after the mess with the spellplague (which my groups treats as non-existent) what would you like to see done for the Realms?

Living Legend

First Post
I'm not into sticking with the same setting for years and years, so I don't really get the need to continuously update settings that have been around for awhile.

For fans of FR from older editions I'm curious: what is the desire to see it updated, especially since those updates will likely make huge changes that spoil it for you (spellplague, everything dragonlance). Would you be satisfied using your old books and paying for a pdf update that had current edition stats for all the NPC's?

I'm not dissing anyone here, I've just never understood this phenomenon. Updates, remakes and sequels usually can't live up to the original, so why are they needed in the TTRPG market?

sorry if this is way off topic, feel free to remove it mods

Last edited:

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous
I think it is right on topic.

I would be perfectly happy with a PDF with the stats updates. I play in the respective existing ages, and even with several groups in the same age it hasn't gotten boring.

But I'm pretty sure FR will get a rewrite again, as it is the most used setting if I believe what's out on the net about it. And I would really love for them not to ruin it this time. If they do, I'll just ignore the updates, of course, but still...

Mercurius

Legend
Old_City_Cemetery_time_capsule_Sacramento,_CA.jpg

No offense to Realms Lovers, of course - and don't get me wrong, I like the Realms, but enough is enough. What more do you want? Let's see something new.

Stormonu

Legend
What do I want of FR? Reprint the gray box and be done.

What will probably happen? A FR book that lets you play in "any timeline".

delericho

Legend
If I were in charge at WotC, I would probably let the Realms lie unused for a good long time (probably until 6e), before doing a full reboot. Then again, I'm quite aware that it's a good thing I'm not in charge of WotC...

Given that they are doing a new version of the FR for the new edition, the best option is a kind of "Saga Edition", enabling people to play at any point in the timeline. If it were also to provide at least some support for a number of alternate universe versions, that would also be good.

Ratinyourwalls

First Post
I want the devs to finally wipe their hands of FR and move on to greener pastures. It worked for MTG and Dominaria and it'll work for Forgotten Realms too.

TheSleepyKing

First Post
What do I want of FR? Reprint the gray box and be done.

What will probably happen? A FR book that lets you play in "any timeline".

I would also like a hard reboot of the setting. Not necessarily a comple reversion to the grey box (there was some good stuff that happened after), but close to.

Of course, that is never, ever going to happen. They will almost certainly try do what they have indicated: support play of all eras. My expectation is that this will pretty much suck for all concerned; it's not like Wizards is going to print multiple maps of the Realms and give multiple descriptions of the various cities and realms. More likely it will be 4e with maybe some historical notes in a sidebar and a page or two up front giving us "permission" to play in different eras.

Fundamentally, I don't think the Realms can be saved. People who hated the spellplague are still going to hate that it's pre-destined to happen. The people who prefer the post-spellplague Realms aren't going to be happy if a large part of the book is taken up with historical stuff to support earlier eras. Maybe a Star Wars-style "era-book" system could work, but I doubt it.

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous
I don't see what is so wrong with supporting different eras? We already have the old map to base it on, and there's a Netheril map as well if I am not remembering wrong. Then for those who like the spellplague, there is a map already, too - I'd probably bot be averse to playing in the spellplague era either if it would work out like that.

I'd likely keep the spellplague stuff as some sort of "you have to prevent this" road though, as I used to before.

Remove ads