Level Up (A5E) What would you like to see next?

Stalker0

Legend
Now after few levels, it's studded leather, breastplate or plate as only 3 options for armor.
Something my players pointed out to me when I made the statement "all big fighters are just going to wear plate". If you follow 5e treasure guidelines, which is very well summarized in this thread: D&D 5E - Deconstructing 5e: Typical Wealth by Level

A typical 5e character will not have enough money to afford plate armor until mid 5th or 6th level. That's a major chunk of the typical adventuring career where you don't have access to the highest end heavy armor. You could argue Splint is the actual "heavy armor standard" for most of the typical character career.

Horwath

Legend
Something my players pointed out to me when I made the statement "all big fighters are just going to wear plate". If you follow 5e treasure guidelines, which is very well summarized in this thread: D&D 5E - Deconstructing 5e: Typical Wealth by Level

A typical 5e character will not have enough money to afford plate armor until mid 5th or 6th level. That's a major chunk of the typical adventuring career where you don't have access to the highest end heavy armor. You could argue Splint is the actual "heavy armor standard" for most of the typical character career.
unless your players loot the plate armor from a fallen enemy, or you will avoid all enemies with plate armor until 5th level?

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
They don't have AC and hp, and we don't have a mass combat/siege warfare system. :)

Right--and I don't need one either--but I was guessing that's what CleverNickName wanted.
Yeah, pretty much. I'm looking for a subset of rules that will let me update and play some of the classic BECM modules with mass combat in them (CM1, "Test of the Warlords" and X10, "Red Arrow Black Shield" for example.) Not an entirely different game; just something that would work seamlessly (or at least be compatible) with the 5E rules.

That style of game is considered outdated, though, and probably not coming back anytime soon. Nowadays, gold is to be spent on magic items, not castles, and the path to power isn't through the conquest of nations or the strength of armies, but through 9th level spells and ancient McGuffins. sigh And that's fun too, just...not what I'm looking for.

View attachment 134668

Faolyn

(she/her)
That style of game is considered outdated, though, and probably not coming back anytime soon. Nowadays, gold is to be spent on magic items, not castles, and the path to power isn't through the conquest of nations or the strength of armies, but through 9th level spells and ancient McGuffins. sigh And that's fun too, just...not what I'm looking for.

View attachment 134668
Well, it looks like strongholds will have gold cost.

It probably wouldn't be too hard to assign AC and hp values to these buildings; that info is in the DMG. A regular stone wall has AC 17, and a 10 x 10 section would be considered resilient (5d10 hp), and it's going to be immune to poison and psychic damage, and probably at least resistant to most other damage types. You can assign a damage threshold to a wall as well. The DMG also has stats for siege weapons.

The sections on followers might end up being useful for modding armies as well.

Tinker-TDC

Explorer
Yeah, pretty much. I'm looking for a subset of rules that will let me update and play some of the classic BECM modules with mass combat in them (CM1, "Test of the Warlords" and X10, "Red Arrow Black Shield" for example.) Not an entirely different game; just something that would work seamlessly (or at least be compatible) with the 5E rules.

View attachment 134668
Have you looked at the Colville books?
Strongholds and Followers is available presently with a nice set of Stronghold rules and later this year (if I'm not mistaken) they're releasing Kingdoms and Warfare which specifically has a mass combat system designed to fit into 5e.

Remove ads