What would you like to see with time magic?

thundershot

Adventurer
I own Chronomancer, and I felt that it was a good idea gone bad. A bit too complicated for the average gamer, and 3E mechanics should all work relatively the same.

That said, some of the spells will likely be converted from that book to my project, but I was hoping to have some possible magic items and prestige class requests.

Maybe it's because I've been a DM for 15 years, but I think the actual time travel aspect of it should be left to the DM. Nothing wrong with players requesting things... I'm always up for that, and I don't know a DM who doesn't like requests.

Continue, and thank you!
Chris

Creeping Death

First Post
I own chronomancy too. I love that book. I wouldn't mind a conversion of that book either. Letting the players be able to jump around in time is difficult but not impossible. I like the dimension of time. I would just make it very expensive to cast the spell. 5k gp gem which needs to be crushed and is consumed in the casting or something like that. That would help limit the amount of times a player would time travel.

As far as prestige classes... Historian.. Uses scry and some time spell to view a location withing 50 miles up to x centuries in the past. I can see a bunch of different versions of this spell or ability. Able to see and hear, but not interact or effect.

Prophet would be another prestige class. They get to view things in the future. other benefits for knowing the future.

If the DM does allow players to hop back and forth in time, Then you could have temporal warrior, they master some ancient long lost figthing style or use some futuristic fighting style yet to be invented.

Some sort of druid pr that would at high levels be able to revert small sections of land back to its primitive stage before civilized hands touched it, or curse some human lands by aging it to the future where pollution has destroyed the air and ravaged the population, this would keep those settlers at bay. Imagine: the local city has encroached to far onto a druids land... he ages their water supply to the future, now their water is polluted with oil and is making the people sick, or he reverts an acre of the town back 2000 years before humans came into the area... building dissapear and the rocks and vegitation that existed there 2000 years prior appear.

Creeping Death

Psionicist

Explorer
Interesting.

I love playing chronomancers. It is very fun!

There are lots and lots of things you can do with it. Age people and so on. Check out 2e Tome of Magic for some chronomancy spells.

thundershot

Adventurer
Question: If spells from Chronomancer and Tome of Magic are converted to 3E (that haven't already yet by Wizards), and put as open source in a product, is it legal? (I'm just asking...)

I'm going to pull out my Chronomancer book to see what I can extract from it.

Darklance

First Post
I just got a pretty good idea for a Chronomancer PRC.

At high levels, the Chronomancer get the ability to "project"" himself from the past into the present. So he could live his life as he was when he was 20 when in reality he is 40. Perhaps later he can even draw upon his older body. The effect would be better permanent but perhaps just for a limited amount of time... I can think of some interesting plots and pranks to use with this. The ancient mage on deaths door who can assume the form of his younger self to do some important things. Perhaps he only emerges from his tower as his older self and then retreats when the effects are about to wear off.

I've always liked the chronomancer but there was never a practical way to go about it IMO.

Darklance

First Post
To tell you the truth. This kind of a book done right would have me a hell of a lot more interested then say a book about choas magic.

Napftor

Explorer
I've been working on the chronomancy idea myself and am in the process of shopping it around. In fact, there has been a bite from our very own Natural d20 press. I believe I have a system that would prevent players from screwing up the past unless they REALLY wanted to screw up what they know as the present. I would love to go into it here but do not want my ideas to show up in whatever thundershot is doing. No offense. :)

Napftor

TBoarder

Explorer
thundershot said:
Question: If spells from Chronomancer and Tome of Magic are converted to 3E (that haven't already yet by Wizards), and put as open source in a product, is it legal? (I'm just asking...)

Nope. From what I know, everything from 1st and 2nd edition is still Wizard of the Coast's intellectual proprety. They're NOT in the System Reference Document, so they can't be "updated" and considered to be open content in a product with the d20 logo.

I don't believe WotC will do anything if you update the spells and post them on the web for free. Just make sure you give the proper credit where it's due and don't use the d20 logo on it.

I'm not a lawyer, but I believe this is accurate. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong :)

Last edited:

Nish

First Post
What I'd be really interested in is a combination of Chronomancy and Chaos magic. Something where manipulating Time is extremely dangerous. Using a Chronomancy cantrip might just result in an uncontrolled release of energy and kill you, or perhaps permanently shatter your mind, while using something on the order of a 9th level spell could theoretically unmake reality in its entirety. It would be based on the idea that time is the collective "soul" if you will, of all that exists and is the foundation upon which all matter, energy, and magic function. Thus by manipulating time, it would be possible to do some very impressive things, but at with some incredible difficulty and risk. Using time magic might be compared to generating a fractal using only a pen and paper and where a single error can kill you.

I've actually been kicking a few ideas around for a campaign world where Time magic exists, but is one of the most well hidden dark secrets of the world. Chronomany wouldn't be a PC option really, but rather a key plot device to the overall history and development in the campaign world.

As for actual mechanics, I haven't really thought of anything, but I figure that it would be rare enough that I could just make up indivdual effects as needed, but I'd probably limit it to rituals (as per Relics & Rituals). However if someone were willing to actually design a system like this, I'd be willing to throw down a few bucks for a pdf. :)

Remove ads