• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E (+) What would you want for 5e Dark Sun?

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
I think the Dragonlance topic of the same name is pretty great and I'd like to follow through a similar course with Dark Sun under the following precepts:

1) Narrative Elements will almost certainly change to adapt the setting toward more modern sensibilities. More female characters, LGBT inclusion, wider ethnic diversity, and some elements may be trimmed or re-framed to be less offensive. This isn't inherently a bad thing. But if you're down with it, what kind of changes would you want to see?

2) Dark Sun has a ton of Systems Changes. From Defiling to Psionics to Environmental Survival. How drastically would you want to see those systems altered, or perhaps do you have ideas on how they could be carried forward? Or do you think that such changes should even be -applied- to a modern table sensibility due to the preponderance of roll-playing as opposed to role-playing in modern game design?

3) Power Level. While it could be included in the Systems changes, Dark Sun's monsters were stronger, it's characters had higher stat generation methods, and magic items, or even good quality weapons and armor, were rare to make things even more challenging. Should that stylistic and mechanical gap remain in 5e, or should it be brought into a more "Modern Balance" spirit where any Athasian character is no stronger or weaker, by default, than any Faerunian one?

I'll go first.

Narrative Changes for Modern Sensibilities:
  • More Female Sorcerer-Kings.
    • On Athas there were only 3 female sorcerer-kings. Abalach-Re, Lalali-Puy, and Yarmuke. And Yarmuke was destroyed by Hamanu who also wiped her city from the world.
    • Thankfully, most of the Sorcerer-Kings gender is pretty irrelevant to who they are and what they accomplish. So making Oronis, Tectuktitlay, or even Andropinis (Who has the most masculine name of them all, Man-Penis) into Female Characters wouldn't actually change much of anything.
    • Could even have one of the Sorcerer-Kings be transgender. Nibenay presents a draconic form and largely hides from the public eye. It could be interesting if that draconic form were feminine.
  • LGBTQ+ loose organizations could be neat.
    • I don't mean big and broad-ranging LGBTQ Lobbyists. I'm talking about smaller organizations of protection. Athas is a harsh place and having trans characters know that, for example, a building with a painted Kank's Head on the front wall wall is a safe space could be interesting. It would also set Athas aside from other settings as one that is harsh, but not without it's mercies.
    • Similarly, an alliance of people with different sexualities creating a group-atmosphere of protection and solidarity might be nice in a cruel world. Like maybe no one cares if some courtier is slipping into silk-sheets with courtiers of similar genders, or whether gladiators are coupling in the barracks between matches, but there's still plenty of reason for abundant caution and escape plans and the like for when bigots -do- rear their ugly heads
    • Though it would also be kind of great to just have no societal stigmas tied to LGBTQ+ existence, of course.
  • Slavery is a tough call. But I think they could largely keep it.
    • 5e D&D tries to keep slavery in the hands of evil people. Which is why the Drow are totally willing to enslave you at the start of Out of the Abyss. The main thrust of slavery in modern fantasy is that it exists, it is evil, and only evil people enslave others.
    • Therefore having slavery as a thing in the setting would still work, but the players would be actively encouraged to fight and kill slavers when possible/reasonable, and free any slaves they find. Which is what good people should do in any setting.
  • Points of (Dim) Light?
    • Athas has always been a place with a handful of real "Towns" and a few villages scattered across the sands between them, often 2-3 days travel apart (On foot) and usually plagued by cannibal Elves, cannibal Thri-Kreen, and cannibal Halflings. Because, honestly, cannibalism is just super popular as a dining option on Athas.
    • This sort of physical structure lends itself well to a Points of Light campaign. And, honestly, making that the style du jour for Athas could fit really, -really-, well. So long as the lights are dim. So long as the safety is fleeting, the comfort expensive, and the danger swift to return.
  • Ethnic Variety
    • Honestly, Athas could do this fairly easily if the art department goes for it without any sort of backlash. I don't think there's much chance, at all, that people are going to complain if Tecuktitlay isn't white as snow, or Lalali-Puy doesn't have blonde hair and blue eyes. Honestly, ruddy and dark skin tones should -probably- be the default for the whole setting, with pale skin being a rarity even among the wealthy.
Systems Changes:
  • Arcane/Divine/Psionics as different.
    • 5e's "All magic is just magic" is just not good for Athas. Athas uses Defiling and Preserving as a powerful narrative element, and one that Clerics and Druids are incapable of doing because their power doesn't defile.
    • Athas would need to break the "Weave Narrative" to work. Different types of magic -need- to be different to interact with this core identity of the setting.
  • Psionics as Default
    • A Psionicist Class (I love KibblesTasty's) would be great. Especially one that takes cantrip-casting to heart and builds off of it.
    • Probably a Psionic-Warrior option or something similar as well. Likely as a Subclass of Fighter or maybe Ranger?
    • Maybe just a whole mess of Psionic Subclasses in general.
    • Definitely a ton of Wild Talents as Feats.
  • Defiling as Default
    • Preserving should be something you actively choose, rather than a default. And it should cost you.
    • Yes. This makes Wizards and Sorcerers (if they're even in the game!) weaker unless they defile. That's the point.
    • Playing a Wizard should be unattractive in the setting to keep the Arcane magic level low. Not impossible, so people can still play their Wizards... but less attractive.
  • Travel Mechanics
    • Traveling from place to place isn't hard, really. Pick a direction and go. Getting there -alive- is the trick.
    • Heat Mechanics, Environmental Hazards, Dangerous Monsters, and most importantly LIMITED RESOURCES.
    • Water isn't always available on Athas. And even when you -can- get some it's often dirty.
    • Some sort of mechanical structure that makes survival against the World into it's own unique danger layered on top of everything else would be spectacular.
Power Level
  • Stronger Characters. Harsher Challenges.
    • Athasian characters have been stronger than those of other settings, often with less magical power available. Previous editions handled this with higher attribute scores, which is also an option but consider replacing Magic Items with "Heroic Power"
    • To replace magic items, there should be a new "Internalized Power" system that allows characters to function as if they -have- magic items in many cases and situations, without actually having them.
    • Perhaps give people a number of "Heroic Power" slots equal to their Attunement availability and allow the player to gain these heroic powers through gameplay.
    • Belt of Giant Strength? Nah. Your strength score gets boosted 'cause you have "Mighty Thews" which gives you a +4 Strength Bonus (Max 22) or a +6 bonus (Max 24
  • Bigger Stats
    • Maybe give players their level 4 ASI at level 1? Or their level 8 at level 1 so they just don't get one of the two during leveling.
    • This would keep their overall power level similar while boosting them at low-level play before they can play into the "Heroic Power" system.
  • Wild Talent at level 1?
    • Wild Talents are an important part of Athasian culture. Not -everyone- has them, but enough people do that it's just considered normal.
    • Maybe give all players a single level 1 "Free Feat" which can be a Wild Talent or not, as they personally prefer.
  • Interesting Weapon and Armor Rules.
    • In addition to having some really cool and slightly freaky weapons, Athas also had rules relating to Bone, Stone, and Wooden weapons that probably should be updated.
    • Weapon Breakage was a common problem for Athasian Heroes who would often see their favorite Carrikal break off in the thick armored hide of a Braxat or crushed under the bulk of a rampaging Mellikot.
    • Armor/Shield Breakage was also an issue, but slightly (SLIGHTLY) less common. Maybe give players the ability to actively sacrifice shields and armor to negate a critical hit altogether, or something? Not sure.

What are your thoughts?

Faolyn

(she/her)
I really, really want to just say "no Sorcerers on Athas" and be done with it, but I recognize the need to do that as little as possible.
Possibly the best idea would be to create elemental sorcerers (maybe using the Tempest sorcerer archetype and those others from that old UA, maybe making new ones) and only having those sorcerers. No Wild Magic or Draconic. Or perhaps shift the perceptions around and make them a form of druid, base their spells not on Cha but something else, like Wis or Con.

Steampunkette

Supporter
Possibly the best idea would be to create elemental sorcerers (maybe using the Tempest sorcerer archetype and those others from that old UA, maybe making new ones) and only having those sorcerers. No Wild Magic or Draconic. Or perhaps shift the perceptions around and make them a form of druid, base their spells not on Cha but something else, like Wis or Con.
If Sorcs exist at all there's 0 reason not to use Wild Magic or Draconic sorcerers. There's nothing inherently about them that is "Bad" in any way, shape, or form, except that they're just kind of... there... for the purposes of the setting. Like there's no connection or real place for them to be because their only differences are Mechanical.

Having them or not having them really makes no difference in the end since it's just a new type of Arcane caster who could be a defiler. They'd just lack any kind of unique story-element and we'd have to find some method of Defiling to improve spells that isn't Metamagic/Flexible Casting 'cause if the Sorcerer is there they'll have no use of it.

Well... No use of it unless they've burned all their sorcery points.

DammitVictor

Trust the Fungus
Supporter
If Sorcs exist at all there's 0 reason not to use Wild Magic or Draconic sorcerers.

Wild Magic doesn't fit the tone of Athas. Frankly, I don't think it fits the tone of any official D&D setting and I've never allowed them.

There's a very good reason not to have Draconic Sorcerers in Athas: none of the types of dragon it's associated with exist, and "descendant of one of the seven god-kings of the world" isn't a background you take at level 1. If you use Draconic Sorcerer to fit something like the 3.5 Dragon Shaman, well... the Dragon Kings already have their cults.

Steampunkette

Supporter
Wild Magic doesn't fit the tone of Athas. Frankly, I don't think it fits the tone of any official D&D setting and I've never allowed them.

There's a very good reason not to have Draconic Sorcerers in Athas: none of the types of dragon it's associated with exist, and "descendant of one of the seven god-kings of the world" isn't a background you take at level 1. If you use Draconic Sorcerer to fit something like the 3.5 Dragon Shaman, well... the Dragon Kings already have their cults.
Both of them work just fine as "Wasteland Mutant Powers". Particularly Wild Magic making your arcane power even more dangerous.

Especially since the Dragon one changes your body to look more draconic, making it harder to hide from the Sorcerer-Kings. At least ostensibly.

I still think it's better to axe them, though.

Zardnaar

Legend
Wild magic can kind of fit at least it's not "this doesn't fit".

Thematically the Dragon sorcerer doesn't fit along with most of what's left.

Warlock has similar problems. They could fit based on a DS type subclass.

Some sort of ancient mystery pact perhaps. Might be Rajaat, whatever the DM decides or visage of purged races.

DammitVictor

Trust the Fungus
Supporter
Warlock has similar problems. They could fit based on a DS type subclass.

I would straight up make all-new Warlock Pacts and Paladin Oaths for each of the living Dragon Kings, with deliberate synergy between the Paladin and Warlock versions of each allegiance. Not every Templar would be multiclassed, but most would be.

Zardnaar

Legend
I would straight up make all-new Warlock Pacts and Paladin Oaths for each of the living Dragon Kings, with deliberate synergy between the Paladin and Warlock versions of each allegiance. Not every Templar would be multiclassed, but most would be.

Paladin Oaths are a lot easier. Avenger is any of them, Path of Ancients Lalali-Puy etc.

Not all Paladin Oaths are suitable but a few are.

In my DS the default Templar is a war priest. A me monarchs other DOMA be make some sense.

In some of the books the Templars had other classes pretending to be Templars. They were in the bureaus but not Templars by class. One had their brother who was a water cleric serving Hamanu.

Hamanu also turned a blind eye to some Druids as well one of which was an ex Templar.

Hamanu was the only one who had much development in the novels beyond bwa ha ha I'm evil. He didn't really volunteer to become a Champion as such more conscripted and Trolls killed his family.

Steampunkette

Supporter
I mean... on the one hand, making the system fit the setting means changing the description of the system, because the spells/attacks/defenses are all fine, it's just how the character perceives it that matters.

Take a look at Oath of Devotion: Roll20

The spells are pretty great for a Templar who is meant to lead other Templars. They can protect their allies with Sanctuary, be a Beacon of Hope, force Honest Confessions from the populace or their wayward underlings, summon a Guardian to protect a location, and call down Fire on their enemies. They can even Commune with their Sorcerer-King for orders in the field.

And the actual class abilities? Magic glowing sword, Protection from Charm for your friends, Protection from Outsiders for yourself, and a 20ft zone of "You don't get to step up on me like -that-, Peasant!" that will burn alive an entire crowd of unruly revolting peasants.

The tricky part is the Oath.
  • Honesty: Don’t lie or cheat. Let your word be your promise.
  • Courage: Never fear to act, though caution is wise.
  • Compassion: Aid others, protect the weak, and punish those who threaten them. Show mercy to your foes, but temper it with Wisdom.
  • Honor: Treat others with fairness, and let your honorable deeds be an example to them. Do as much good as possible while causing the least amount of harm.
  • Duty: Be responsible for your Actions and their consequences, protect those entrusted to your care, and obey those who have just authority over you.
Cut out Compassion and Honor, though, and you're golden. Or, heck, just rewrite the Oath itself:
  • Loyalty: Obey Hamanu, and those loyal to him above your station.
  • Courage: Never fear to act, though caution is wise.
  • Contentment: Know that what you have is enough. That seeking greater power leads to ruination. (Might as well throw in a line to Control the Templar)
  • Respect: Respect is earned, not given, to the populace. You have earned your position and others must earn theirs.
  • Duty: Be responsible for your actions, protect the city and your king at any cost, and obey the orders of Hamanu.
Because that's the sticky wicket. The subclass features are fine and dandy.

The entire Paladin-Templar entry could just be rewriting the different oaths of the extent Subclasses to fit different Sorcerer-Kings, or leave the King's name out and make 'em more flexible.
  • Exalt the Oba. Through your acts of courage and bravery, show the people the goodness of the Oba.
  • Shelter the Light. Where there is green in the world stand against the wickedness that would harm it, for it is the Oba.
  • Preserve Your Own Light. Delight in song and laughter, in beauty and art. For she is with you, and shares in your joy.
  • Be the Light. Be a glorious beacon for all who live in despair. Let the light of your joy and courage shine forth in all her glory!
Though I have to admit I like the idea of making them King-Specific. Especially for the purposes of Lalali-Puy's propaganda.

Remove ads