D&D 2E What would you want in a 2e AD&D inspired RPG?

Which of these would you want in a 2e AD&D inspired RPG

• Get rid of percentile strength

Votes: 15 53.6%
  • NWPs

Votes: 15 53.6%
  • Consistent ability modifiers

Votes: 13 46.4%
  • Roll-under d20 mechanics

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Thief abilities based on 1d20

Votes: 8 28.6%
  • Extra wizards spells (a la cleric) based on intelligence

Votes: 11 39.3%
  • THAC0

Votes: 8 28.6%
  • old fashioned saves (wands, dragon breath, petrification, etc)

Votes: 11 39.3%
  • traditional schools of magic (abjuration, evocation, etc)

Votes: 16 57.1%
  • Race & Class kits

Votes: 16 57.1%
  • Weapon damage based on class, not by weapon

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • Secondary skills/backgrounds (instead of NWPs)

Votes: 7 25.0%

vivsavage

Explorer
2e is my favorite iteration of D&D, and I've long harbored a desire to create an OSR version of it with some rules cleaning. If such a beast interests you, what stuff would you want to make sure is retained and what stuff would you want to see revised/left out altogether? NOTE: the poll is multiple choice.

EDIT: for those interested, this is my plan: to create a 64 page rulebook that 'fixes' 2e, presented in the simple manner of B/X (not by way of rules, but in presentation and directness). There will be a second 24-32 page book with optional kits, and maybe a 32 page monster book. It will be fully a illustrated box set, possibly with added goodies like spell cards, character sheets, and even dice. No, I'm not kidding.

vivsavage

Explorer
What does "consistent ability modifiers" mean? +1 for every 2 point increase in an ability score? If so, no thanks.
In 2e, ability score modifiers are different for different things. For example, a str of 17 gives you +1 to hit and +2 damage (IIRC… I'm at work right now). So consistent modifiers would mean every score of X would yield a modifier of Y, and so on. I haven't thought about the way the scale works yet.

2e is my favorite iteration of D&D, and I've long harbored a desire to create an OSR version of it with some rules cleaning. If such a beast interests you, what stuff would you want to make sure is retained and what stuff would you want to see revised/left out altogether? NOTE: the poll is multiple choice.

EDIT: for those interested, this is my plan: to create a 64 page rulebook that 'fixes' 2e, presented in the simple manner of B/X (not by way of rules, but in presentation and directness). There will be a second 24-32 page book with optional kits, and maybe a 32 page monster book. It will be fully a illustrated box set, possibly with added goodies like spell cards, character sheets, and even dice. No, I'm not kidding.

If you want a cleaned up, modernized AD&D 2e, you should just play 5e as that is pretty much what it is with a few differentiating bells and whistles (such as Inspiration and Concentration) and some 3.x paradigms at work (such as Saving Throw progression/disparity).

OK, that's probably a good idea as long as you use the bell curve approach to calculate the modifiers.

Such as 13-15 +1, 16-17 +2, 18 +3?

That's Moldvay Basic.

And Dungeon World!...which is basically a Moldvay/4e D&D mash-up with some Shadows of Yesterday and Burning Wheel narrativist tech on the PBtA chassis.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
Although I can't believe that there's not an OSR D&D out there for everyone by now...here are some random thoughts:

Percentile strength never made sense to me. What can't a stronger guy just have strength 19, which is greater than 18?

The thieving skills table has its pros and cons. It looks too complex and arbitrary, but then its existence makes the thief class a little bit cooler.

Kits were, for the record, brilliant. I mean, who would've thought that you could take a normal class and make something cool out of it within the rules of the class?

Remove ads