• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Whatever happened to Sword & Sorcery Cinema?

nikolai

First Post
I've just seen Narnia, with fantastic special effects used in a totally bloodless battle. We've also had a great dragon in Harry Potter, disposed of in a equally bloodless way. Why aren't they making S&S films anymore? I know making a film for kids maximises box office. But is wrong to want to see a seven-foot tall barbarian evicerate a monster? There were loads of S&S films during the 1980s, all with dodgy special effects. Why - just when the technology is there - have these films stopped being made? Does this strike anyone else as an absolute tragedy?

Dark Jezter

First Post
Well, there are rumors that Robert Rodriguez (of Sin City fame) is going to direct a new Conan movie, so perhaps there is some hope for sword & sorcery genre on the big screen.

sniffles

First Post
nikolai said:
I've just seen Narnia, with fantastic special effects used in a totally bloodless battle. We've also had a great dragon in Harry Potter, disposed of in a equally bloodless way. Why aren't they making S&S films anymore? I know making a film for kids maximises box office. But is wrong to want to see a seven-foot tall barbarian evicerate a monster? There were loads of S&S films during the 1980s, all with dodgy special effects. Why - just when the technology is there - have these films stopped being made? Does this strike anyone else as an absolute tragedy?
I don't think it's a tragedy, but it is too bad there aren't more fantastic films being specifically made for adult audiences.

The tragedy is that they're spending so much money on people like Tom Cruise and remaking old movies when they could be doing lots of medium-budget, good quality fun films.

Swoop109

First Post
nikolai said:

I do know that there is talk of a new Conan film coming out within the next couple of years.
One without the hand of Milius spoilling the character.

In addition a film company is currently in pre-production to bring Howard's Bran Mak Morn to the screen.
Another company has optioned the rights to Karl Wagner's Kane.
While not S&S, Paramont currently has a John Carter of Mars film in production.
So I think that we just have to wait a couple more years to see good sword and sorcery brought back.

I'm hopig that with the release of the new Kong film other studios will start to look at bringing back some of the old pulp action back to films.

Green Knight

First Post
One without the hand of Milius spoilling the character.

Wow. First time I've ever encountered anybody who DIDN'T like Conan the Barbarian. :confused: I can understand not liking Conan the Destroyer, but then again, Milius didn't work on that one.

Dark Jezter

First Post
Green Knight said:
Wow. First time I've ever encountered anybody who DIDN'T like Conan the Barbarian. :confused: I can understand not liking Conan the Destroyer, but then again, Milius didn't work on that one.
Count me in as somebody who thought that Conan the Barbarian was a great movie. It's one of the most-watched DVDs in my collection.

Green Knight said:
Here's a second one for you. I thought the first movie was only OK at best--a B-movie that got a bit more buzz than normal, and I was annoyed that it had so little to do with REH's character other than the name. I'm not much of a fan.

Swoop109

First Post
Green Knight said:
Don't get me wrong. I think CtB is The best sword and sorcery film made in the 80's. I just happen to think that it is a badly done Conan film.
The entire character background was re-written and Arnold and Milius failed to capture any of the granduer of the original materiaal.
They could have changed the name of the title character to Ator and it would not have affected the film one bit.

Last edited:

Sir Brennen

Legend
Swoop109 said:
In addition a film company is currently in pre-production to bring Howard's Bran Mak Morn to the screen.
Another company has optioned the rights to Karl Wagner's Kane.
While not S&S, Paramont currently has a John Carter of Mars film in production.
So I think that we just have to wait a couple more years to see good sword and sorcery brought back.
There's also the persistant rumor that Elric of Melnibone will see the silver screen someday...

Joshua Dyal said:
Here's a second one for you. I thought the first movie was only OK at best--a B-movie that got a bit more buzz than normal, and I was annoyed that it had so little to do with REH's character other than the name. I'm not much of a fan.

Actually compared to Conan the Destroyer (which sucked monkey balls), the first film had quite a bit to do with the original character. Many of the Hyperborean countries and kingdoms were represented, and the arms and armor worn by the characters were believable and not ridiculous as was the case with the second film.

The rumors of a new Conan film are actually MORE than rumors at this point...

http://movies.yahoo.com/shop?d=hp&cf=prev&id=1808503058

Anyway, I'm hoping they opt for the "serious" treatment of the 3rd Conan movie as opposed to the ultra-cheesy style of the 2nd. I also have to disagree about a "bloodless" Harry Potter. Watch the films again, particularly the 3rd and 4th. Yes the use of blood is restrained, but it is there. I am more of a fan of a happy medium between blood and gore and a sanitized version.

Remove ads