• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Whatever happened to Sword & Sorcery Cinema?

Dark Jezter

First Post
Warrior Poet said:
True. And in a just world, Conan the Destroyer would be dragged out to the woods and mercifully euthanized along with the second Highlander movie, if such an abomination were to actually exist, which it doesn't, thankfully, and now we shall never speak of this again.

Warrior Poet
Well, at least Conan the Destroyer is kinda fun in a silly, campy sort of way. Highlander 2 isn't even good as camp. It just plain sucks. The only way to make Highlander 2 watchable would be to have Mike Nelson, Tom Servo, and Crow making fun of it as it was playing.

Yes, I would get a big kick out of watching Highlander 2 get the Mystery Science Theater 3000 treatment. :D

Warrior Poet said:
True. And in a just world, Conan the Destroyer would be dragged out to the woods and mercifully euthanized along with the second Highlander movie, if such an abomination were to actually exist, which it doesn't, thankfully, and now we shall never speak of this again.

Warrior Poet

No kidding... I actually saw the film which is not to be spoken of at the theater. I hated it so much that I walked out about 20 minutes into it. It remains one of only 3 or 4 films I have actually not sat through after paying to see them at the theater.

Dark Jezter

First Post
Warrior Poet said:
I have no idea what you're talking about, and anyway, what did I just say about never speaking of this again? :p

Warrior Poet
I hear that if you turn out the lights and say Highlander 2 three times while looking into a mirror, Connor McLeod will reach through the glass and murder you. :uhoh:

sniffles

First Post
Zarithar Savageclaw said:
Actually compared to Conan the Destroyer (which sucked monkey balls), the first film had quite a bit to do with the original character. Many of the Hyperborean countries and kingdoms were represented, and the arms and armor worn by the characters were believable and not ridiculous as was the case with the second film.
Actually, I kind of like Conan the Destroyer. I admit that the parts of it that I like have nothing to do with Ahnold, or most of the rest of the cast (with the exception of Mako, who rocks at everything he does). But there are things about it that I enjoy. ;)

I'm not sure I want to see a Conan film that hews closely to the books. I don't know that I'd enjoy that onscreen. The same holds for Elric. Elric is not really an appealing character; it's what happens to him that's interesting, IMHO. It's hard to make a film in which the protagonist is not likeable and has very little in common with the audience.

Klaus

First Post
A few days ago I put myself through the process of coming up with the barebones of a doable (i.e. low budget) fantasy movie/miniseries. Wrote the basis in my head in a couple of hours and typed it out in 15 minutes.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
Klaus said:
A few days ago I put myself through the process of coming up with the barebones of a doable (i.e. low budget) fantasy movie/miniseries. Wrote the basis in my head in a couple of hours and typed it out in 15 minutes.

So post that sucker.

krunchyfrogg

Explorer
I don't understand the complaint.

There wasn't a good fantasy movie around for many years before The Fellowship of the Ring came out. The LoTR trilogy was so fantastic that it sparked some really good fantasy-type films (and some not so good ones as well) such as the Harry Potter movies, Troy, and now Narnia.

I'd rather have movies come out at this frequency and this quality than a whole bunch of crap.

Warrior Poet

Explorer
sniffles said:
It's hard to make a film in which the protagonist is not likeable and has very little in common with the audience.
Really?

The Bunker
Stalin
Conspiracy
Throne of Blood
Ran
Richard III
Titus
A Simple Plan
Man Bites Dog
Natural Born Killers
Mary Shelley's Frankenstein
Apt Pupil
American History X
The Godfather
I'll Sleep When I'm Dead
Get Carter
House of Cards

The main characters in those films are appalling, or frequently do very appalling things, yet they remain compelling films nonetheless (though I found Branagh's Frankenstein laborious, overwrought, melodramatic, and altogether too self-congratulatory). Not necessarily pleasant films to sit through, to be sure.

Warrior Poet

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads