• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Whatever "lore" is, it isn't "rules."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Imaro

Legend
I call it adding WoHS to GH because (i) I got the idea from reading about WoHS in DL (especially the DL Adventures hardback); (ii) like the WoHS, they hang out in Towers (of High Sorcery), meet in Conclaves, admit members by way of a test, etc; (iii) in determining permitted/prohibited achools/flavours of magic I followed the DLA rules pretty closely; (iv) I added an extra moon to give black robes a source of power (Red Robes already had Luna, White Robes Celene).

I'm not sure what more someone might do to make it count as "adding WoHS to a GH campaign".

Do they hunt down wizards who don't join? Are you considered a "renegade" wizard if you are not a member? These were pretty defining characteristics of the WoHS in DL...

Last edited:

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Well, it's questionable whether Spelljammer material is really part of Greyhawk, or an optional Greyhawk add-on.

Questions I don't need to wrestle with, because it was written after 1985. ;)

I don't think it's questionable at all. Spelljammer, like Planescape, is a metasetting that the DM can choose to overlay a setting like Greyhawk with, play completely separately, or not use at all. It can't be considered canon for the setting it overlays UNLESS the DM chooses to use it, at which point the clarifications of canon for specific settings would attach.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Aw, thank you for your kind words. I'm prone to lurking and assuming I have nothing interesting to say, then deciding I do and, uh, unleashing the verbal floodgates all over the convo. Knowing that something I've spewed forth here is of value to someone else means a great deal.

We don't always agree, but I do enjoy reading your posts. Keep it up.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Well, in case you missed it, in just this thread we have [MENTION=23751]Maxperson[/MENTION] telling [MENTION=42582]pemerton[/MENTION] that he is a bad GM for not following canon.

Does that count?

No, it doesn't count since I've never once said he was a bad DM. I'd like an apology for that false accusation.

Imaro

Legend
So how is telling someone that they are a poor DM for the lore choices they make not de-legitimizing lore choices?

Your entire rant was about the lore of different editions... please stop reaching and trying to make it about something it wasn't.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
... X isn't really D&D because it's not canon. It's fine that you like X, but, it's not really D&D and us real D&D players will be over here playing the Real D&D ...
On behalf of one of my major characters, who is named X, I feel I have to point out that she herself most certainly feels that she is canon and that to suggest otherwise borders on high treason at the very least.

;)

Lan-"what other reaction do you expect from someone whose alignment might best be described as Lawful Ego"-efan

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
See... and some posters wonder why I want exact quotes and passages...

Yep. I said the one example as an instance of what I consider to be poor DMing, but I explicitly said that we've all made poor decisions and I wasn't calling him a bad DM. Good DMs can still make bad decisions.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
No, it doesn't count since I've never once said he was a bad DM.
Using the word "bad", no. The term you used for it was, if I recall, either "poor" or "very poor". Either way, hardly the most conciliatory of approaches. :)

pemerton said:
I explain my preferences.

And I don't call people's approach very poor GMing just because it's not something I would do.
For which I probably ought to thank you, as I somehow suspect my approach to DMing and yours differ rather hugely. :)

Lan-"my agreeing with both pemerton and Hussar at the same time in this thread is, I think, a sign of an impending apocalypse"-efan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads