What's a good system for fairly high-powered "supers"

RedShirtNo5.1

Explorer
What if Mace Windu, Iron Man, a 43rd level halfling thief, and Princess Celestia needed to team up to stop dimension-hopping daleks?

I'm planning to GM a one or two-session game involving high-powered individuals from different universes. Probably anything below Silver Surfer level of power. I'd like to give players a wide latitude to make characters, although this could result in some genre-crossing. Anyhow, I'm looking a good system to handle this. A supers system seems like the natural fit, but I'm open to other possibilities.

I've got M&M 2nd edition, but might be a little too crunchy for a one-shot; it seems like a lot of work to make opponents. So bonus points for simplicity.

ENWorld brain trust, do you have any suggestions?

Thanks

RedShirtNo5

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Marvel-Heroic-Roleplay-Basic-Game/dp/1936685167"]Marvel Heroic Roleplay[/ame] is almost made for this. Fairly simple, very fluffy, and can handle a vast range of characters - and draw descriptions out of some pretty reticent players.

ProtoClone

First Post
Really, when you have that much to work in story wise, most of it will be hand waving imbalances and such. So you might as well go with something that doesn't have a lot of crunch and leaves it up to interpretation, especially for a 1-2 shot session. Also, with it being a short run, levels and advancement are not important.

So, my thoughts:

Marvel FASERIP.
ICONS.

Mercutio01

First Post
I was going to propose ICONS but ProtoClone beat me to it.

Others that I can think of (all on the light end of the rules-spectrum) that would work:
FATE
SUPERS
Savage Worlds
Capes, Cowls, and Villains Foul

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
If you're looking for a little more simplicity, consider Villains and Vigilantes. Out of print for many years, you can now get it on PDF. It's a lot simpler and faster than either Mutants and Masterminds or Hero - but it also doesn't have the fine tuning of super powers either of those have.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Um... I'm going to go with...

Tales from the Floating Vagabond - normally this game is played as a comedy, but you don't have to run it that way. It is intended to be universe-crossing weird combinations of characters, so that the details of the mechanics don't matter so much as character style and intent.

There are lots of systems, although I'd suggest the most popular currently are (in no particular order):

- Marvel Heroic Roleplaying
- Mutants & Masterminds/DC Adventures
- Champions/HERO system

M.L. Martin

Adventurer
Here's a little trick that may make M&M easier for you: you don't have to build NPCs with points. Set a PL and assign traits as appropriate.

Remove ads