D&D 5E What's D&D's closest equivalent to buzzard-people?

MarkB

Legend
Reskin the "charming call" as a "hypnotic pattern" created by their effortless circling patterns in the air.

Ever seen a group of vultures homing in, circling at different levels, different directions, getting ready to descend on a found kill [or in this case, I guess, potential kill]? Add in magic and I'd definitely say that could be mesmerizing.

Make it a bit of both, and you get something like this.

[video=youtube;bja8UUtZRls]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bja8UUtZRls[/video]

diaglo

Adventurer
don't forget to dig on Dragon 115 iirc from 1986. it had an article on harpies. probably Ecology of the harpy. but i can't remember.
something rings in my head that Elminster... i mean Ed Greenwood was involved in part of it. or maybe he also just wrote an article in that same Dragon.

memory fades with age.
don't get as old as me.

don't forget to dig on Dragon 115 iirc from 1986. it had an article on harpies. probably Ecology of the harpy. but i can't remember.
something rings in my head that Elminster... i mean Ed Greenwood was involved in part of it. or maybe he also just wrote an article in that same Dragon.

memory fades with age.
don't get as old as me.

You aren't THAT old- you got the correct issue. It was a two part harpy ecology article written by Barbara E. Curtis and Ed Greenwood. You remembered quite a bit!

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Let me just say, incidentally, that the 5e flavor text for kenku is amazing. I'd play one of these as a PC in a heartbeat.

Remove ads