What's Green Ronin Up To In 2018? The Expanse, Lazarus, & More!

Green Ronin has posted its plans for the first half of 2018, which include The Expanse RPG, being Kickstarted in a few months, Modern Age in the Spring, along with the World of Lazarus setting, a new edition of Freedom City for Mutants & Masterminds, and more!

Green Ronin has posted its plans for the first half of 2018, which include The Expanse RPG, being Kickstarted in a few months, Modern Age in the Spring, along with the World of Lazarus setting, a new edition of Freedom City for Mutants & Masterminds, and more!

MA_Lazarus_cov_PRODSHOT_preview.jpg

Here's the list for the first half of the year:

• The Expanse (Kickstarter in a few months, game releasing at Gen Con in August)
  • Modern Age (Spring)
  • The World of Lazarus setting for Modern AGE (Spring)
  • Fantasy Age Companion
  • Faces of Thedas (for Dragon Age)
  • Aldis: City of the Blue Rose (for the Blue Rose RPG)
  • Freedom City (for Mutants & Masterminds; out this week)
  • Rogues Gallery (for Mutants and Masterminds; Spring)
  • Shadowtide (Blue Rose novel)
  • Ork! The Roleplaying Game (new edition)
  • Return to Freeport (6-part adventure for Pathfinder; later spring)
Later in the year, we can expect to see:
  • Basic Hero's Handbook (for Mutants and Masterminds)
  • Superteam Handbook (for Mutants and Masterminds)
  • A Mutants & Masterminds novel
  • Sentinels of Earth Prime (card game)
  • Lost Citadel (D&D 5E campaign setting)
Green Ronin also reports that its Song of Ice and Fire license has expired; they can continue selling existing books, but cannot produce new ones. Read more here!

[FONT=&amp]Save[/FONT][FONT=&amp]Save[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT]

Aephix

Villager
Thanks.

I'm not familiar with AGE. Is it crunchy? My gut feeling is Expanse as a game would benefit from relatively heavy, "crunch" mechanics with a FATE-like metacurrency system layered over top. I think you need both to emulate all the nods to SF "realism", the technical Tom Clancy-in-space stuff, while still allowing for the over-the-top heroics found all over the series.

It is uncrunchy. It's not quite as "lite" as Fate or Savage Worlds, but it is in the neighborhood. There is a pair of episodes of Tabletop where Chris Pramas runs the players thru a session of Dragon Age if you want to get an idea (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-61i3R5y9Y for the first one).

Sad to see A Song of Ice and Fire end. Even with all its troubles it was an interesting game. I wonder if someone else will pick up the licence? Cubicle 7 in 5e rules would be nice :D

I'm in The Expanse for sure, great books

And I wish they'd do the Freeport series in 5e as well :(

MarkB

Legend
I'll definitely be interested in The Expanse. It's the sort of crunchy SF setting that I really like - I came very close to going with it for the next campaign I'm planning on running, and will probably adapt elements of it in any case.

The Song of Ice and Fire is curious, considering the massive success of Game of Thrones. It just never seemed to take off in any meaningful way, unless I was just missing it.

Superchunk77

Adventurer
The Song of Ice and Fire is curious, considering the massive success of Game of Thrones. It just never seemed to take off in any meaningful way, unless I was just missing it.

It didn't really take off, no. If you look at their forums you'll find barely any activity there, for either the GoT forums (maybe one or two online games going) nor the Chronicle System forums (virtually dead).

All fan inquiries into what's next for the Chronicle system are generally replied with cryptic "we've got a book X coming" and then silence for over a year.

Looks like it's going the way of True20.

BytomMan

First Post
I would take these release dates with a grain of salt. There's been a trend at least the last few years with them promising products for the year and then those products don't appear for a few more years. Dragon Age: Faces of Thedas has popped up in their yearly message starting with 2015; Fantasy AGE Companion in 2016; Titansgrave--The World of Valkana and a second adventure in 2016; Freedom City in 2017. There are always extenuating circumstances, I'm sure, but it is what it is.

Last edited by a moderator:

darjr

I crit!
It seemed like they were going to rock it with Titansgrave. But it just seemed to peter out. Did Will lose interest? I thought it sold really well.

vladimir10

Villager
I am disappointed that they haven't added anything to the Dragon Age system. After GR made the new Core Book that combined all the previous, it seems to have dropped off the face of the Earth. So sad...here's hoping that changes soon

Superchunk77

Adventurer
I am disappointed that they haven't added anything to the Dragon Age system. After GR made the new Core Book that combined all the previous, it seems to have dropped off the face of the Earth. So sad...here's hoping that changes soon

This seems to be the case with a lot of their games. True20, Game of Thrones, the Chronicle System, Titansgrave, Dragon Age, probably quite a few others too.

Remove ads

Remove ads