What's my (PC's) motivation?

Why does your PC adventure?

• Revenge (they killed my master, now they must die!)

Votes: 6 7.6%
  • Duty (to country, religion, family, saving the world, etc.)

Votes: 28 35.4%
  • Partying (show me the way to the next whiskey bar)

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Adventure/Exploration (ah, so exciting to finally meet a planatar!)

Votes: 21 26.6%
  • Survival

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Money

• Power (the character wants to be a big shot)

Votes: 7 8.9%
  • So I (the player) can win the game most efficiently

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • So I (the player) can make a certain build

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • The DM said we should get the McGuffin

justanobody

Banned
Banned
Whats the motivation for the PC you're playing in games right now?

Complete and utter boredom with the life of a country bumpkin. Even killing random strangers seems more exciting. So he was hired as muscle in an intricate contract that he did not fully understand, but takes his share of wealth when there is something he wants and kills things to protect the people who hired him.

"Beats planting turnips."

Graybeard

Explorer
Most of my PCs over the years adventured out of duty to King, country, family, etc. Other times it was because of the love of excitement/adventure. I did play one PC who started adventuring because he liked to party and was a womanizer. He moved from town to town often because he had to. Over time, he evolved to become an adventurer out of a sense of duty (King, country, saving the world, etc.). Of course, being famous because of all that didn't hurt either.

Graybeard

I only get one motivation?

Also, it's so interesting that love and sex are not among the choices....

For love or sex, I think you need to decide between "Partying" (which I nearly called "Sex, Drugs, and Rock 'N Roll (but I could live without the Rock 'N Roll) and Duty (family includes significant other in my thoughts about this).

I gave only one choice and no other because it makes ya choose.

Starglim

Explorer
Interesting results! This is something that I struggle with, but I'd say it's a combination of loyalty to a friend (sort of, not really, a duty) and because it's what he's good at (more or less survival).

Last couple of characters:

• Power, no question.
  • Searching for meaning. That would be something like exploration.

Last edited:

Aus_Snow

First Post
Currently, adventure and exploration are front and centre. It's not that other concerns are not present and addressed, but well, that one gets my vote.

Only playing one PC atm. . . :(

FireLance

Legend
World peace. :angel:

Oh, all right. To save the world. But that is like, such a cliche, you know? :erm:

Oh, and to do that "build" thing and that "win" thing, too - I'd go into more detail, but I'm speaking in-character, here. ;)

ProfessorCirno

Banned
Banned
I actually find "Money and chicks" to be an overwhelming goal for most of my characters. Or sure, "power" is up there, no doubt - who doesn't want that, eh? "Chicks, money, power, and chicks" and whatnot. But idealism in the face of twenty levels of dungeons, traps, mad wizards, and death? Glory don't sell for much.

My last character before my current one was a simple militia-man who was tired of risking his life for such little pay, so he took to adventuring. Not for the good of the world, or for the good of the city, and certainly not because any gods gave a reason (Them bastards never help us common folk, what!) He did it because adventurers always have the nicest clothing, they throw gold around like it's no big deal at the tavern, they catch all the elf skirts, and to top it all off, they even have a chance to get brought back to life if they go down! Huh!

awayfarer

First Post
I voted for money although this isn't perfectly accurate.

My current PC adventures for cash to support his booze habit, for hookers and to pay child support to the prostitute he knocked up.

roguerouge

First Post
I have one guy in a 9 year campaign who's an epic level bard/barbarian/frenzied berzerker/fighter/legendary dreadnought. His motivation? Combat is performance art, and the party gives the most interesting performances. Also, he likes to eat the brains of the things the party defeats--to eat their strength--and that leads to interesting consequences with extraplanar beings. Lastly, he's fighting to make the world more fun... and he might very well help end the world rather than let the bad guys win or let the good guys take the lesser evil that makes for a grey world.

Remove ads