What's the deal with the text editor?

Frankie1969

Adventurer
The following bug is 100% reproducible for me:
  1. write a multi-line post (either new or reply).
  2. go back and do any kind of formatting on a line that isn't the last.
  3. the formatting correctly affects the selected text.
  4. the formatting doesn't affect the following line.
  5. the formatting incorrectly affects all of the text from the 2nd line down to the end of the post.
  6. do some more formatting. sometimes it affects the other lines, sometimes it doesn't.
  7. edit a later line. sometimes the incorrect formatting goes away.
See?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Yep. Let me guess - you are using Firefox as a browser?

What you are describing is a known bug in Firefox that we, unfortunately, can't fix on our end.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
What I think you're saying is "we choose not to fix this because Firefox isn't following the spec".

No. I am saying that EN World is not a software development shop.

We do not write code. We do not have someone on staff with the skills to hack up the text editor to make up for Firefox not following the spec.

Len

Prodigal Member
I don't think Frankie is asking you to fix it (he did say "Fair enough"), he's asking where the bug is reported so that we can go and add our requests to the Firefox developers to get it fixed. I'd like to know that too.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I don't think Frankie is asking you to fix it ....

He explicitly said he thought it was about how we CHOOSE not to fix it, like we don't prioritize user requests, or something. If we had the resources to create, test, and maintain customizations, I don't doubt it would happen. But, we don't. So it isn't really our choice.

And no, I don't know the bug numbers either for Firefox or Xenforo.

Frankie1969

Adventurer
@Umbran I apologize. You're right, "don't have the resources" is a legitimate meaning of "can't".

Bug List: Xenforo returns two bugs, neither of which sound like this one. If you or someone else at EnWorld could post what you know about it, I'll try to get someone to work on it.

Frankie1969

Adventurer
Further investigation: the bug is in Froala editor v2.9.6 used by Xenforo v2.1.3.
Xenforo 2.1.4 (latest) downgrades Froala to 2.9.5, which fixes it.
Meanwhile, Froala is working on 2.9.7, which will also fix it.

Sacrosanct

Legend
I’m using chrome on my iPad and have almost the same issues. Hitting return tweet times is needed to go to a new line, which doesn’t automatically capitalize the first letter, and if I quote someone, no matter how many times I click at the bottom to add text, it puts the text in the middle of the quoted message. Super annoying. And makes it look like I have fifth grade grammar skills lol.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases