• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What's the effective bonus of a double d20 roll take the highest?

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
Okay, finished. Here are the shortcuts I used to create it:
-A1 gets a 1.
-Fill A2:A20 with a series.
-Copy the series 5 times.
-Copy that 5x series 4 times. You have the A1:A400 filled.
-B1 gets a 1.
-Copy that through b20.
-B21 gets "=sum(B1+1).
-Copy that cell through B400. You have B1:B400 filled.
-C1 gets "=max(a1:b1)"
-Copy that through C400.
-C401 gets "=average(c1:c400)"

Your result=13.825, which is equal to +3.325.

Daniel

Achan hiArusa

Explorer
To set up the spreadsheet in Excel (just another way of doing it), just do a matrix with rows labeled as 1 to 20 (A2 to A21) and columns as 1 to 20 (B1 to U1), then do =MAX(B$1,$A2) and copy and paste this formula throughout the whole table. Then label a new column for results as 1 to 20 (W2 to W21) and then do =COUNTIF($A$2:$U$21,W2) in Row X and in X22 do =SUM(X2:X21) which should come out 400, then in row Y do =X2/X$22 then in cell Z2 do =Y2*W2 and copy and paste. And then in Z22 do =SUM(Z2:Z21) and you will get the previously mention 13.825, so the bonus is about +3.325.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Nifft, what kind of graph would you run on this for illustrative purposes? I'm not seeing how that'd be helpful.
How likely you are to get each specific number. That is: number of occurences of each result divided by total number of results.

For a linear function like a single d20, it's a "uniform" distribution, and thus just a flat line. For a "normal" distribution like 3d6, it's a bell curve.

Cheers, -- N

DM-Rocco

Explorer
To set up the spreadsheet in Excel (just another way of doing it), just do a matrix with rows labeled as 1 to 20 (A2 to A21) and columns as 1 to 20 (B1 to U1), then do =MAX(B$1,) and copy and paste this formula throughout the whole table. Then label a new column for results as 1 to 20 (W2 to W21) and then do =COUNTIF($2:$21,W2) in Row X and in X22 do =SUM(X2:X21) which should come out 400, then in row Y do =X2/X$22 then in cell Z2 do =Y2*W2 and copy and paste. And then in Z22 do =SUM(Z2:Z21) and you will get the previously mention 13.825, so the bonus is about +3.325.

Which is fine, but there are two things all the bonuses in the world can't correct that an actual second roll could, a result of 1 on the first roll or a critical roll or 20 on the second which is, IMO, why they give a second roll and not just a bonus. I don't think you can calculate a way to take this into account.

Steveyd

First Post
[FONT=&quot]The success of the d20 roll is binary; a roll of a certain number or above is a success and a lower than that is failure. There's not just a simple effective bonus because the bonus will change depending on the target number.

Let's say you need a 12 or better to hit the monsters Armor Class. The probability of a success is .45 on the first dice, and probability of failure is .55. Now of those failures, the second dice has a probability of bailing you out of .45. Thus the total probability of a failure on the first and a success on the second is .45*.55 = .2475, close to an effective +5 bonus, total possibility to succeed .6975.

That changes though as AC increases, because the second dice also has a lower probability to roll high enough. Say you need a 16 or better to hit, then P(Success) = .25, P(Failure)=.75, and P(Failure then Success) = .1875, an effective bonus of 3.75. Total Success would be .4375.

if you were really looking to give a bonus to eliminate dice rolling (though why is rolling 2 dice at once any harder?) you could look over the range of rolls typically needed and just go with something in there you feel appropriate. +4 over the range of 14-17 on the dice required to hit the target number might be appropriate, though you are actually giving them a little bit better bonus against harder things and slightly shortchanging them against easier things. If the BBEG that they need a 19-20 to actually hit shows up, then you are giving them a huge effective bonus to hit them if you stay with the keep 4. I suggest just having them roll both dice at once.

[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Of course, this is only to hit at all. Factoring in criticals on 20 and automiss on 1 skews to having many more criticals and practically 0 critical misses in a session.

[/FONT] Here's the table:
View attachment 2d20 Probabilty.xls

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
You're absolutely right, DM_Rocco. And Nifft, graphing it returns a *very* interesting result.

On creating the spreadsheet describe above, I added a couple new columns. In d1, I entered "=a1", and copied down to d20. This showed the instance of each die roll. In e1, I entered "=Countif(c1:c400,d1)", giving a count of all dice rolls in which the highest of two d20 rolls (the results in cells c1:c400) equaled d1 (i.e., 1). I copied this down to e20.

The results? You'll roll a 1 as the highest of two d20 rolls 1 in 400 times. A 2 will be your highest roll 3 in 400 times. Each number will occur a number of times equal to the next highest odd number--e.g., a 3 will be your highest roll 5 times, a 4 will be your highest roll 7 times, etc. You'll get a 20 as your highest roll 39 in 400 times, almost a 1 in 10 chance. I definitely wasn't expecting that!

The graphing was a great idea.

Daniel

jaldaen

First Post
Thanks everyone for your answers... they were quite enlightening as I weigh whether to go with double rolls or single rolls with bonuses. I think that getting rid of bad rolls is definately a selling point for the double roll. What about straigth rerolls (i.e. I don't like this roll I'll take the next)? Would they have a higher effective bonus or lower one? Just curious... ;)

DM-Rocco

Explorer
You're absolutely right, DM_Rocco. And Nifft, graphing it returns a *very* interesting result.

On creating the spreadsheet describe above, I added a couple new columns. In d1, I entered "=a1", and copied down to d20. This showed the instance of each die roll. In e1, I entered "=Countif(c1:c400,d1)", giving a count of all dice rolls in which the highest of two d20 rolls (the results in cells c1:c400) equaled d1 (i.e., 1). I copied this down to e20.

The results? You'll roll a 1 as the highest of two d20 rolls 1 in 400 times. A 2 will be your highest roll 3 in 400 times. Each number will occur a number of times equal to the next highest odd number--e.g., a 3 will be your highest roll 5 times, a 4 will be your highest roll 7 times, etc. You'll get a 20 as your highest roll 39 in 400 times, almost a 1 in 10 chance. I definitely wasn't expecting that!

The graphing was a great idea.

Daniel

Thanks, in spite of what my players tell me, I am right from time to time :)

I can and do appreciate that you guys could figure out the exact math on such a thing though. Even though I am not the best at math, I do find it interesting to read you guys going off. Makes me wish I didn't spend all day in math class drawing dungeons on graph paper:eek:

Well, almost :p

Remove ads