• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E What's the point of gold?

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
"fun part of the game" ?

Yes, the fun part of the game. I think I’ve been pretty clear in this thread that I have fun making difficult decisions with significant consequences in character, and I find the most opportunities for that arise during uptime. If you find downtime fun, that’s fine. But a lot of players don’t, and would much rather focus on uptime.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Yes, the fun part of the game. I think I’ve been pretty clear in this thread that I have fun making difficult decisions with significant consequences in character, and I find the most opportunities for that arise during uptime. If you find downtime fun, that’s fine. But a lot of players don’t, and would much rather focus on uptime.

You might be overlooking that anything you can do during downtime, can also be done during uptime.

Charlaquin

DM fiat is the greatest tool the DM has, and unless it's in the hands of a bad DM(rare), it's good for the players, too. Too many try to use it as if it were a bad word.
I don’t disagree. I’m just saying that a lot of players will favor options with hard-coded mechanics because there’s no uncertainty on what they do.

I didn't say that they didn't exist. What I implied, and am saying straight out now, is that if I didn't encounter them given the sheer numbers of D&D players I encountered, the complainers were in a small minority.
You may think you encountered a lot of D&D players, but that’s still anecdotal. And at any rate, if we proceed under the assumption that they were in the minority, it’s still not a new problem in 5e.

Acknowledgement and suggestions ARE support, even if meager. And I will absolutely grant you that the 5e support on this is very meager.
Sure, if that’s how you prefer to phrase it.

Unless the players have explicitly agreed to ride the railroad, a railroad is always a problem.
I strongly disagree. I’ve run plenty of games that many would describe as “railroads” that all of my players thoroughly enjoyed. My players probably wouldn’t describe them as railroads, but that’s because they wanted to go where it was going. The reason railroads is a problem is because they remove player agency, but if the players don’t encounter a situation where they want to go a new direction that the railroad doesn’t allow, then their agency is never infringed upon. And a skilled DM can switch tracks (or create brand new routes) at a moment’s notice if their players do want to go in a different direction.

It's actually a lot of fun. You still get to build encounters and stories. They just pertain to what the players have originated as their goals.
Said as if you can’t do exactly that in a more preplanned adventure.

If the players suddenly decide to go to the Northern Barbarian Tribes and take them over, you prepare for that. If during that story they become fast friends with some of the barbarians and shift from take-over to ally, and then join them to fight the frost giants, you prepare for that. You're reactive, but still creating stories and encounters, and at the same time the PCs truly are the driving force of the story, rather than just being along for the ride.
I did say purely reactive. Being able to react to players interests and input is an important skill for any DM, I just wouldn’t enjoy a game that was purely reactive.

If you were in my game, you'd probably quit. The "fun part of the game" is only about a third to half, depending on the situation, of my game. The rest is the "amazingly fun part of the game" ;)
Unless you’re seriously saying that a half to two thirds of your game is taken up by resolving downtime activities, I think you may have misunderstood what I meant by “fun part of the game.” Uptime is simply time when you’re playing things out moment-to-moment. If that really only takes up a third to half of your table time, then yeah, I would get bored and quit pretty fast.

I actually did play in a game that was like that once. It was bizarre. One dude was just like doing a bunch of spreadsheets to figure out how much money he could make investing in cattle farming, and telling the GM how many cows he wanted to buy while I, with my monk-like character (this wasn’t D&D, but it had a similar martial artist class) was just like... “I don’t know, I guess I train in my dojo?” The whole session. Not only did we never pursue the obvious plot bait because the one guy didn’t want to take time away from his imaginary business, not only did I never get to throw a punch, I never got to roleplay my character because there were almost no moment to moment interactions. Everything was “what do you do over this four weeks while the other guy is raising his cows?” Never went back to that group (although there were other reasons for that).

I would encourage that sort of player to go find a more compatible game. Not out of any kind of malice, but because people should enjoy themselves when playing D&D. My game wouldn't be to that person's liking, but someone else's would be.
And that’s totally reasonable. But if you acknowledge that this is enough of a problem to some people that they would have more fun playing a different game, then how is it so hard to accept that “money is not useful” is a legitimate critique, at least for people with certain playstyle preferences, even if it isn’t a problem for you and your players?

I strongly disagree with this. When you codify that sort of thing, you are stifling creativity. People see that the book lays out A, B, and C as the ways to use aristocracy, which causes them to not even try to think up D-Z, which are also ways to use aristocracy. If the game is going to go into this at all, it should just be some sort of vague statement to the players and DM to be creative with how the uses for gold can impact the game in a positive manner for the PCs.

Encourage the creativity. Don't stifle it.
It’s a pretty well-known psychological phenomenon that too much creative freedom actually stifles creativity. When your options are “absolutely anything,” people become overwhelmed and can’t filter the unlimited options down enough to make a decision. Restrictions and guidelines actually foster creativity. Obviously there’s a limit to how far that can go before those limitations start getting in the way of the creativity they are meant to spark, which is why I did not suggest trying to codify every possible benefit of every single thing one might buy. But some simple advice, like “a character with a wealthy lifestyle may be able to persuade certain NPCs without a roll, or be able to attempt social actions that a character with a poor lifestyle might automatically fail” would go a long way. I still think a simple table of mishaps and windfalls that you roll on once a month with a modifier based on your lifestyle during that month would be a huge step towards making downtime more interesting (to me, if it needed to be said).

Charlaquin

You might be overlooking that anything you can do during downtime, can also be done during uptime.

What, you mean like roleplaying through your time in the city, talking to NPCs while you’re between adventures, that kind of thing? Sure, I’d consider that part of the fun part of the game.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I strongly disagree. I’ve run plenty of games that many would describe as “railroads” that all of my players thoroughly enjoyed. My players probably wouldn’t describe them as railroads, but that’s because they wanted to go where it was going. The reason railroads is a problem is because they remove player agency, but if the players don’t encounter a situation where they want to go a new direction that the railroad doesn’t allow, then their agency is never infringed upon. And a skilled DM can switch tracks (or create brand new routes) at a moment’s notice if their players do want to go in a different direction.

If they are going in a direction anyway, it's not a railroad. A railroad happens if they CANNOT go off the rails and into a different direction.

Unless you’re seriously saying that a half to two thirds of your game is taken up by resolving downtime activities, I think you may have misunderstood what I meant by “fun part of the game.” Uptime is simply time when you’re playing things out moment-to-moment. If that really only takes up a third to half of your table time, then yeah, I would get bored and quit pretty fast.

No. I'm saying half to two thirds of my game doesn't involve using much in the way of book mechanics. There is a lot of roleplaying where no rolls happen, swords and other magic items don't come into play, etc., but where things like PC castles, temples and so on, would come into play. I and my players enjoy a good fight, but we don't do tons of fights like some other groups do.

I actually did play in a game that was like that once. It was bizarre. One dude was just like doing a bunch of spreadsheets to figure out how much money he could make investing in cattle farming, and telling the GM how many cows he wanted to buy while I, with my monk-like character (this wasn’t D&D, but it had a similar martial artist class) was just like... “I don’t know, I guess I train in my dojo?” The whole session. Not only did we never pursue the obvious plot bait because the one guy didn’t want to take time away from his imaginary business, not only did I never get to throw a punch, I never got to roleplay my character because there were almost no moment to moment interactions. Everything was “what do you do over this four weeks while the other guy is raising his cows?” Never went back to that group (although there were other reasons for that).

Yeah. That's not really my cup of tea, either.

And that’s totally reasonable. But if you acknowledge that this is enough of a problem to some people that they would have more fun playing a different game, then how is it so hard to accept that “money is not useful” is a legitimate critique, at least for people with certain playstyle preferences, even if it isn’t a problem for you and your players?

There isn't a rule in the game(or lack of one) that isn't a problem for some number of people. You can't please everyone, nor should you try. As for the "money is not useful" critique, it's because it's presented as a general issue, which it isn't. If a majority of people find money to be useful in 5e, then it doesn't really qualify as a general issue.

For the people who do find it to be an issue, [MENTION=6799753]lowkey13[/MENTION] is right. Past products are a wealth of information and help. I STILL use the Encyclopedia Magica and probably always will. I go back to my 2e stuff for lore all the time. Personally, I've found official magic item pricing to be horrible, so I've had to come up with my own prices for things since 3e came out, and the magic item pricing in Xanthar's hasn't changed that, though the rest of the magic item purchasing rules in Xanthar's seem solid to me.

It’s a pretty well-known psychological phenomenon that too much creative freedom actually stifles creativity. When your options are “absolutely anything,” people become overwhelmed and can’t filter the unlimited options down enough to make a decision. Restrictions and guidelines actually foster creativity. Obviously there’s a limit to how far that can go before those limitations start getting in the way of the creativity they are meant to spark, which is why I did not suggest trying to codify every possible benefit of every single thing one might buy. But some simple advice, like “a character with a wealthy lifestyle may be able to persuade certain NPCs without a roll, or be able to attempt social actions that a character with a poor lifestyle might automatically fail” would go a long way. I still think a simple table of mishaps and windfalls that you roll on once a month with a modifier based on your lifestyle during that month would be a huge step towards making downtime more interesting (to me, if it needed to be said).

Right, but it isn't "absolutely anything." The players have a built in filter which is their PC. They will be purchasing based on the PC's wants and desires, which aren't going to be so broad, but also aren't going to be stifled by over regulation.

For the bolded part, we are in agreement. Simple, general advice like that is golden as far as I'm concerned. It gives the DM and players the spark to come up with ways to do things(not just spend gold), while not being specific enough to stifle creativity.

Have you looked at what Xanthar's has for downtime activities? It's pretty easy to just adapt that to uptime and have at it.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
What, you mean like roleplaying through your time in the city, talking to NPCs while you’re between adventures, that kind of thing? Sure, I’d consider that part of the fun part of the game.

Or even the building of a castle. You don't have to spend every moment roleplaying the castle being built, but the PCs can go back, take care of issues that come up, issue directions and then go out and do something else. It's pretty easy to include the castle construction into uptime, without making it the entire game.

smbakeresq

Explorer
Thank you. I am sure that's an useful resource for certain kinds of campaigns (though not ones using official adventures).

It actually doesn't rely on ANY published settings or adventures (Fields of Blood, the other isn't out yet.) Its just a rules system for empire management and mass combat D&D style.

Managing a fief of any size gets expensive, and troops cost money. Worse, the system includes historical rules that show the difference between having wealth as opposed to cash, which you never have enough of.

5ekyu

Hero
Yeah. That's not really my cup of tea, either.

Yup but that wouldn't be any better if the "activity" was the rogue moving off to go steal something and the fighter in heavy armor was left out either - i think we both agree there.

I think an example of a Gm showing poor time management between players and characters at a game is a good example of bad GMing but not an example of a bad system.

Myself, i would (if i was Ok with the one player spending business time by the established expectations in session zero of solo play) have spent as much time with the monk and activities involving them and their choices for directions and what to do - even if that meant throwing incidents and instigations their way.

*BUT* If one player at a table is expecting player-character-driven-business-spreadsheet sessions *and* another player is expecting event driven group delves and so forth then the GM has seemingly failed to establish from the outset the game they are getting into.

When i ran VtM games, there would be entire sessions where the PCs never saw each other and we bounced from one to another with each playing through very interesting very character driven and character specific scenes - with occasional group response and teamwork. It was appropriate for that type of game in that system as we intended to play it. We also kept the sessions to 2-3 players, no more, due to the high percentage of solo play.

In my more group oriented play with more players at the table, we establish the reverse - occasional solo scenes but predominantly the scenes will be group or at least pairs. The specific statements focus that if its a solo outing it will (barring rare exception) be handled by "narrative summary in a no more than 5 minutes" (at the table) or by "email between sessions" because that suits the style of gameplay we are after and number pf players per length of session we have.

A GM with players who both believe they are playing right but where they are directly opposite playstyles that clash has a bad mix that has nothing to do with system. Its not about gold support vs stealth support vs sword support vs ye olde magic shoppee support at that point. Its about "are we playing the same game."

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Yup but that wouldn't be any better if the "activity" was the rogue moving off to go steal something and the fighter in heavy armor was left out either - i think we both agree there.

I think an example of a Gm showing poor time management between players and characters at a game is a good example of bad GMing but not an example of a bad system.

You would think, but my group seems to be very happy and content with having the stealth guy go scout, sometimes for up to an hour of game time, and sometimes getting spotted and running back after having the stuffing beat out of him. I move the time to others while he is scouting if they are doing something for me to go back to, but a fair amount of the time, they are just sitting there waiting for the scouting report. Campaigns where they are all stealth or where there is no stealth PC tend to move better in my opinion, but as long as the players are happy, I'm happy(with a few exceptions).

When i ran VtM games, there would be entire sessions where the PCs never saw each other and we bounced from one to another with each playing through very interesting very character driven and character specific scenes - with occasional group response and teamwork. It was appropriate for that type of game in that system as we intended to play it. We also kept the sessions to 2-3 players, no more, due to the high percentage of solo play.

Yeah. Vampire is good like that. It's easy to flip back and forth between players at different spots, because that was often what the games were about. Each player pursuing his or her goals.

I used to play LARP Vampire back in the day. We even ran games of Vampire, Werewolf, Changling, etc. over entire convention weekends, with an overarching story that spanned centuries of time. Lots of fun and White Wolf used to send a team out to play in our games and support us.

5ekyu

Hero
You would think, but my group seems to be very happy and content with having the stealth guy go scout, sometimes for up to an hour of game time, and sometimes getting spotted and running back after having the stuffing beat out of him. I move the time to others while he is scouting if they are doing something for me to go back to, but a fair amount of the time, they are just sitting there waiting for the scouting report. Campaigns where they are all stealth or where there is no stealth PC tend to move better in my opinion, but as long as the players are happy, I'm happy(with a few exceptions).

Yeah. Vampire is good like that. It's easy to flip back and forth between players at different spots, because that was often what the games were about. Each player pursuing his or her goals.

I used to play LARP Vampire back in the day. We even ran games of Vampire, Werewolf, Changling, etc. over entire convention weekends, with an overarching story that spanned centuries of time. Lots of fun and White Wolf used to send a team out to play in our games and support us.

LAst first, yep.

first last - agree it can work but to me a key is them knowing that it is a playstyle that will or wont or may be seen in the game.

if you signed up for a game and agreed to play knowing a session might spend a lot of time on one player doing something that doesn't involve you *and* that you are expected to be proactive with your time at session not just waiting for something to come up, griping about that when it happens is not a system problem.

Remove ads