• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What's the WORST Star Wars movie?

What's the WORST Star Wars movie? (vote for up to 3)

• Ep I: The Phantom Menace

Votes: 52 33.1%
  • Ep 2: Attack of the Clones

Votes: 50 31.8%
  • Ep 3: Revenge of the Sith

Votes: 14 8.9%
  • Ep 4: A New Hope

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Ep 5: The Empire Strikes Back

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Ep 6: Return of the Jedi

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Ep 7: The Force Awakens

Votes: 19 12.1%
  • Ep 8: The Last Jedi

Votes: 56 35.7%
  • Ep 9: The Rise of Skywalker

Votes: 95 60.5%
  • Rogue One

Votes: 4 2.5%
  • Solo

Votes: 16 10.2%

Zardnaar

Legend
???

What does Prey have to do with anything? It was surprisingly amazing (quite close behind Predator itself), but it's a Predator movie, not an Alien movie, and it's not by Ridley Scott.

Prequels aren't inherently bad.

Ridley Scott just doesn't "get" why Alien was a good movie, nor what was good about it, and the dude has been butthurt about not getting 100% credit for Alien since the 1980s. I remember as a young teenager I was obsessed with Alien and Aliens, and read everything I could about them, including a lot of interviews with Scott and others, and even back then, I noticed that Scott was very keen to take 100% credit for anything good about Alien, and blame anything not good on others, which seemed... uncool. He did express some ideas about what was going on that were subtext/unstated.

And then Prometheus solidly proved that his ideas were dumb and bad, because he really did use the same ideas to make it. Then again with Covenant. Prometheus' terrible script isn't 100% him, but he demanded what elements were in it and kept firing people and replacing them over and over until it was appropriately horrible, at which point he said "SOUNDS GREAT" and made one of best-looking terrible movies ever made. Lunatic. Then he did it again, with a slightly better script but even worse ideas and less beautifully shot.

No questions are needed for this obviously correct opinion.

I had a brainfart derp.

Ryujin

Legend
???

What does Prey have to do with anything? It was surprisingly amazing (quite close behind Predator itself), but it's a Predator movie, not an Alien movie, and it's not by Ridley Scott.

Prequels aren't inherently bad.

Ridley Scott just doesn't "get" why Alien was a good movie, nor what was good about it, and the dude has been butthurt about not getting 100% credit for Alien since the 1980s. I remember as a young teenager I was obsessed with Alien and Aliens, and read everything I could about them, including a lot of interviews with Scott and others, and even back then, I noticed that Scott was very keen to take 100% credit for anything good about Alien, and blame anything not good on others, which seemed... uncool. He did express some ideas about what was going on that were subtext/unstated.

And then Prometheus solidly proved that his ideas were dumb and bad, because he really did use the same ideas to make it. Then again with Covenant. Prometheus' terrible script isn't 100% him, but he demanded what elements were in it and kept firing people and replacing them over and over until it was appropriately horrible, at which point he said "SOUNDS GREAT" and made one of best-looking terrible movies ever made. Lunatic. Then he did it again, with a slightly better script but even worse ideas and less beautifully shot.

No questions are needed for this obviously correct opinion.
You can find the original (un-Scotted) script for "Prometheus" online. Reading it explains a bunch of the stuff that made absolutely no sense in the movie, because the bits that explain it were cut from the final production. I don't think that it makes it a good movie (cf. running hundreds of metres from a crashing spaceship and then being saved by rolling 3 metres to the left), but at least it becomes more comprehensible.

The people who didn't vote for the Rise of Skywalker didn't see Rise of Skywalker.
That's me. I voted for only Phantom Menace. The poll said "worst" so I picked only one.
I'd probably have voted for the other 2 prequels if I voted for three.

But non-objectively I also wanted to vote for Rogue One. It was the movie that made me want to stop watching Star Wars movies. I found it un-fun, mainly because I didn't really give a damn about the characters. I still watched Solo, but didn't bother with Rise of Skywalker. The series just kind of died for me.

Rogue One was a "better' movie than any of the prequels, but I enjoyed 2 and 3 more than I did it.

Phantom menace made the "sin" of making me enjoy the original series less, and it introduced the world to Jar-Jar, had the racist alien caricatures, had Anakin accidentally save the day by blowing up the trade federation ship, and (this one is a personal pet peeve not shared by others) they used the underwater "there's always a bigger fish" not once, but twice.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
That's me. I voted for only Phantom Menace. The poll said "worst" so I picked only one.
I'd probably have voted for the other 2 prequels if I voted for three.

But non-objectively I also wanted to vote for Rogue One. It was the movie that made me want to stop watching Star Wars movies. I found it un-fun, mainly because I didn't really give a damn about the characters. I still watched Solo, but didn't bother with Rise of Skywalker. The series just kind of died for me.

Rogue One was a "better' movie than any of the prequels, but I enjoyed 2 and 3 more than I did it.

Phantom menace made the "sin" of making me enjoy the original series less, and it introduced the world to Jar-Jar, had the racist alien caricatures, had Anakin accidentally save the day by blowing up the trade federation ship, and (this one is a personal pet peeve not shared by others) they used the underwater "there's always a bigger fish" not once, but twice.
Believe it or not, Rise of Skywalker is still worse.

gban007

Adventurer
Yeah sorry, as someone else mentioned, I’m talking about the special edition films. Which are the only version of the original trilogy available these days.
The idea of an old movie having cgi stuffed into the background and then rereleased is worse to me than anything that happened in the prequels or sequels.
I was just talking to someone about Star Wars earlier today, and they mentioned how well they thought the original trilogy held up to the likes of the prequel trilogy in terms of CGI, and I was thinking um.....

MarkB

Legend
Yeah sorry, as someone else mentioned, I’m talking about the special edition films. Which are the only version of the original trilogy available these days.
The idea of an old movie having cgi stuffed into the background and then rereleased is worse to me than anything that happened in the prequels or sequels.
Nothing really stands out for me as an issue with the special edition of ESB, and with RotJ it's literally just the stupid beak on the Sarlacc. The only one that really bothers me is ANH - the overly-crowded streets of Mos Eisley, Han shooting first, and the Jabba scene which simultaneously ruins two reveals - the Falcon and Luke's "piece of junk" reaction, and of course Jabba.

Remove ads