What's This Mysterious D&D Book? [UPDATED!]

As long as it's not 5.5...

Mercule

Adventurer
Unfortunately I think my glasses will soon have to look something like the following. B-)
I also got back into painting miniatures, recently (stupid Gloomhaven and CMON). I've got one of those standing magnifying glasses with the alligator clips for holding stuff, but I also wear my glasses. I'm about to get a big swivel-arm magnifier with the ring of LEDs around the underneath. I'm having a hard time with getting stereoscopic vision through that tiny lens.

I say this because I almost got jewelers' glasses like what you posted, but it sounds like the effective range is about 3 inches, which sucks.

Oofta

Legend
I also got back into painting miniatures, recently (stupid Gloomhaven and CMON). I've got one of those standing magnifying glasses with the alligator clips for holding stuff, but I also wear my glasses. I'm about to get a big swivel-arm magnifier with the ring of LEDs around the underneath. I'm having a hard time with getting stereoscopic vision through that tiny lens.

I say this because I almost got jewelers' glasses like what you posted, but it sounds like the effective range is about 3 inches, which sucks.

Yeah, I found a pair of jewelers glasses and tried them at the store once. I don't know how they would ever be practical for painting unless I just want to see how badly I goofed the eyes on my wizard mini. The magnifying glass/light works fairly well if you get a good one.

Wrathamon

Adventurer
Clearly this is just special edition covers of the main 3 books for shops aimed at the players who have been buying the special edition covers of the newer books.

If they're doing revised versions of all three, then my wish list is slightly longer...

PHB: As noted, a better index. Oh, and incorporate the errata, of course.

DMG: This is the book that could do with the most work, IMO. I'm not asking for any rules changes, but there are quite a few of the systems (notably creating monsters) that would really benefit from a rewrite for clarity.

MM: Nope, pretty happy with this one. Of course, the errata would need applied. Otherwise, if I were to buy the new PHB and DMG, I'd buy a new MM as well to complete the set.

If all these new books have is a new cover (and perhaps new interior art), then I'm afraid I'm not interested - it's too much money to not get a more useful product.

The newest printings of all three books already include all the errata. Do you think they are going to go back and use the first printings for these? :)

delericho

Legend
The newest printings of all three books already include all the errata. Do you think they are going to go back and use the first printings for these? :)

Well, of course. Because if the past four years have taught us nothing else, it's that WotC are both able to produce a game that's great fun to play and that apparently sells better than D&D ever has in the past (including the fad days of the 80s); while simultaneously being utterly and totally incompetent. Hasn't this forum taught you anything? :)

Staffan

Legend
I really hate looking something up in the index, only to be told to look at something else in the index when they could have just put the page number with the first thing I looked at.
The D&D edition with the best index is 13th Age, which combines the index with a glossary.

On a livestream yesterday they said that these alternate covers are coming out this holiday and are a product of their relationship with the artist that did the Volos Guide special edition hard cover. Also these are not intended as a money grab. They also said that the announcement of new setting products for 5e will be on the 23rd of this month and they will be releasing before 2019, possibly very soon. Other announcements will be on the 16th.

Remove ads

Remove ads