• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What's wrong with being good?

Meridian

First Post
Actually, I believe that, over time, the players are conditioned by the experiences they have with various GMs to regard certain alignments as desirable and others that are not. Most often, one group of players I know usually (given a choice) invariably trends toward playing true neutrally-aligned characters. The popular explanation for this phenomenon as it has been explained to me is that the alignment of "neutral" as defined in the PHB is closest to what they believe is the moral and ethical viewpoint of modern-day individuals like themselves. Of course, IMHO, since the majority also play or have played Shadowrun (touting it as their favorite or second favorite system/setting), the mindset common to veteran SR players overlaps into the way the same players create characters for D&D, i.e., as shadowrunners in a pure fantasy setting, which results in the quality of self-interest being present in the character profile to a significant degree..."let's get paid."

Because D&D in its past and present forms encourages the advancement of characters through accumulating wealth and killing monsters, it stands to reason that the good alignments are less desirable for play, as neutral characters don't *have* to think about the moral quandries good characters would sometimes find themselves encountering in pursuit of the same goals. Evil characters don't have to think about it at all, and their alignment encourages that thought process.

I used to play good characters in a group of neutrally-aligned PCs, but inevitably, I evolved away from doing so to minimize internal party conflict. I only play good characters in a group where I have at least a couple of potential allies rooted in common cause.

I would recommend that GMs desiring to condition their troupe of players to select good alignments on their own accord consider implementing the following system:

Show the *benefits* of being good-aligned within the setting and the campaign!

Off the top of my head, let the good-aligned characters receive bonuses on reaction rolls with NPCs...that is if the players are playing true to alignment. This can be rationalized by the NPCs picking up a "vibe" off of the PC that encourages interaction and empathy. Simplistic, but kind of the direction you want to go to accomplish the goal.

Better yet, ask your players' opinions. See if there is anything you can do to tweak the way players of good PCs receive a sense of reward without encouraging the mercenary aspects.

My two cents.

GungHo

Explorer
Epic
Chaotic Neutral also gets some of its "bad mojo" from the majority of characters it produces with CN alignment. Most of them are psycho, verging on the chaotic stupid.

Me, I play Chaotic Neutral fairly often, especially when playing clerics of Chaotic War (e.g. Tempus) or Storms. They're pretty normal (not big on any authority but that of their deity, not big on quests that don't further their cause), but when they get into battle, they go all out and don't mind bathing in the blood of their enemies. They don't endanger the party, but they are going to revel in the experience.

I also like Lawful Neutral when playing clerics, particularly Solar based religions (now borrowing a little bit from Exalted and concepts like the Unconquered Sun). They're just as much juggernauts.

I prefer Lawful Evil when I want to play evil, particularly assasins/dark monks with their own strict moral (or amoral) code.

For good, I prefer Neutral Good. Chaotic Good is ok, but most people play them as hedonists. Lawful Good is also ok, as long as it doesn't get wishy-washy.

I don't play Chaotic Evil or True Neutral. They just seem goofy.

LostSoul

Adventurer
I'd let the players play their characters however they want without trying to inforce any rules by bringing out alignment. They can still have alignment, but it might not be what they expect; the difference is, the DM isn't going to tell them what they can and can't do.

Unless the players are being disruptive. In that case, it's a player issue and has nothing to do with alignment.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads