What's your #1 book that you think every tabletop gamer should read? And why?

Ulrick

First Post
The only requirement is:

The book can't be gaming-related.

That is, what book would you recommend that every tabletop gamer should read that isn't a rulebook? Why?

Anything from literature, history or other non-fiction is fair game.

This is just an experiment. I'd like to see people's answers to see if I'm on the right track for a book I'm working on.

Thank you.

Wild Gazebo

Explorer
Adventures of Tom Sawyer.

Rich setting, different dialects, strong quick character description, humour, spirit and a motivation to experience things.

Jacob Marley

Adventurer
It's hard to pick a #1 book that every gamer should read. And since many books I would recommend will be addressed by other posters (as is the case with [MENTION=27252]TrippyHippy[/MENTION] and the Lord of the Rings), I'll nominate something a little more obscure: The Historical Atlas of Knights & Castles: The Rise and Fall of the Age of Chivalry by Dr. Ian Barnes.

I s’pose the obligatory mention of The Bible and The Complete Works of William Shakespeare ought to be done. A good encyclopaedia is pretty useful too.

That said, it may depend on what type of game you want to run: The complete works of H.P. Lovecraft may be more useful if you want to run a Call of Cthulhu game, of course!

delericho

Legend
"The DC Comics Guide to Writing Comics". I got this after a recommendation from Monte Cook, and it's actually surprisingly good, with an awful lot to say about the storytelling aspects of being a GM.

Jhaelen

First Post
I'm drawing a blank. I can't think of just one book that I'd actually recommend to _every_ table-top gamer. There's just too many different table-top games of too many vastly different genres. Maybe Homer's Odyssey? Although I'm unsure about it's usefulness for non-Fantasy settings.

Mishihari Lord

First Post
The Black Company by Glen Cook. Besides the characters, setting, and magic, which are all cool, it really teaches the idea of "fight smart, not fair," which should be axiom #1 for a D&D PC.

Remove ads