D&D General What's your Elevator Pitch? D&D + ??? = $$$

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
Every piece of media is a sermon on something.
given your name, I assume you are a woman you ever dealt with dogged "nice guys" who think love is earned or entitled? it is one of the largest transmission vectors as it existed for decades it basic formula spreads that idea, watch them again with this in mind and you will see.
I know a surprising amount about the nature of love despite lacking the ability to truly feel it as it can only be given.
... yeah, no.

Take a look at Deathstalker, sometime, or pretty much any action or action-fantasy or really any kind of movie from Big Trouble in Little China on down to Zoolander and you'll see guys getting girls just "Because" especially in the Comedies. Romcoms are not responsible for "Nice Guys".

Heck, in -many- movies before 2000 grabbing a woman and forcing a kiss onto her was considered "Romantic" or "Hot" rather than sexual assault. INCLUDING Big Trouble in Little China. Remember Revenge of the Nerds where Lewis Skulnik commits rape by fraud and it's lauded as heroic and romantic? Where the victim is just surprised he's so good at it and he replies that jocks have sex but nerds -think- about it and that makes them better at it? Yeeeeeah... That kind of drivel is where it's from.

Further: Guys tend to avoid Romcoms as "Chick Flicks". Or, at least, did in the 80s and 90s and early 2000s. My social circle of guys shrank a bit after that point.

Nah. The idea that love is earned through a single romantic or important act doesn't come from Romcoms, where they characters flirt and interact for the majority of the runtime. It comes from "Save the World, Get the Girl" mindsets. One big gesture and then you're in a relationship forever.

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
D&D and Mood Rings. If they let me tell your alignment just by looking at your ring. They would be about as accurate as the system we use for alignment now.

View attachment 252957 +View attachment 252958 = View attachment 252959

We could argue about what colors to use where.
how is lawful good true good and chaotic evil true evil, clearly pure good is neutral good?
... yeah, no.

Take a look at Deathstalker, sometime, or pretty much any action or action-fantasy or really any kind of movie from Big Trouble in Little China on down to Zoolander and you'll see guys getting girls just "Because" especially in the Comedies. Romcoms are not responsible for "Nice Guys".

Heck, in -many- movies before 2000 grabbing a woman and forcing a kiss onto her was considered "Romantic" or "Hot" rather than sexual assault. INCLUDING Big Trouble in Little China. Remember Revenge of the Nerds where Lewis Skulnik commits rape by fraud and it's lauded as heroic and romantic? Where the victim is just surprised he's so good at it and he replies that jocks have sex but nerds -think- about it and that makes them better at it? Yeeeeeah... That kind of drivel is where it's from.

Further: Guys tend to avoid Romcoms as "Chick Flicks". Or, at least, did in the 80s and 90s and early 2000s. My social circle of guys shrank a bit after that point.

Nah. The idea that love is earned through a single romantic or important act doesn't come from Romcoms, where they characters flirt and interact for the majority of the runtime. It comes from "Save the World, Get the Girl" mindsets. One big gesture and then you're in a relationship forever.
fair but it is only that so you can't even tune it out and focus on action, I hate romance forced into a plot, besides if I had it my way it would be exorcised from every movie that ever was, is or will be.

Steampunkette

Supporter
fair but it is only that so you can't even tune it out and focus on action, I hate romance forced into a plot, besides if I had it my way it would be exorcised from every movie that ever was, is or will be.
I think therein lies the real rub. It isn't a question of Romcom morality... just that you particularly hate romance.

That said, there's actually some good reasons to hate Romcoms a couple of times enumerated by my favorite foursome.

aco175

Legend
how is lawful good true good and chaotic evil true evil, clearly pure good is neutral good?
It is just a picture I clipped. I did not even notice it was listed as true, my mind just put in what I thought is should have been in that moment.

1657280998986.png

Mind of tempest

I think therein lies the real rub. It isn't a question of Romcom morality... just that you particularly hate romance.

That said, there's actually some good reasons to hate Romcoms a couple of times enumerated by my favorite foursome.

hate is not the right word bitterness and envy are closer as it is knowledge I can't know or gain and that makes me displeased.
I dislike it's over prevalence in movies and it often feels superfluous to the plot and should be cut, I dislike romance being overvalued when comradery is often forgotten and agape is all but extinct.

humorously you liked the clips which started my journey to my present perception what a coincidence.
It is just a picture I clipped. I did not even notice it was listed as true, my mind just put in what I thought is should have been in that moment.

View attachment 252963
it is a common problem, no harm done so no worries.
D&D plus 7up.

It will be a tie in with the rod of the7 parts
well, john 117 is on bottles of pop so it might work.

Steampunkette

Supporter
hate is not the right word bitterness and envy are closer as it is knowledge I can't know or gain and that makes me displeased.
I dislike it's over prevalence in movies and it often feels superfluous to the plot and should be cut, I dislike romance being overvalued when comradery is often forgotten and agape is all but extinct.

humorously you liked the clips which started my journey to my present perception what a coincidence.
"I cannot know or gain love"

What do you mean by this? Is there some reason you're utterly unloveable, somehow? Incapable of being loved by anyone in a romantic fashion?

Mind of tempest

"I cannot know or gain love"

What do you mean by this? Is there some reason you're utterly unloveable, somehow? Incapable of being loved by anyone in a romantic fashion?
how do I translate it, I can not be given something as I can not attract I lack any trait to spark it nor will I ever be able to gain them.
I do not love anything I do not bond properly, I can care greatly but normally hate is all that can be summoned I lack the love of anything the wiring is no longer there.
then you get into what I am, all I see are errors and therapy does not seem to correct this, as it is my values conflict with my actions and I do not change so the conflict is eternal, plus I am depressing and basically worth less than human sweat as that has useful salts.
besides, I know exactly how far I have to fall it is hard to not be evil when you were made to serve it.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Mod Note:
Folks,

This conversation has taken a turn that is making some folks distinctly uncomfortable. If you're not going to talk about a pitch like the OP asked, it is time to take your discussion out of this thread. Thanks.

Mind of tempest

I think the tricky ness of the base concept of this thread is what could make a lot of money that has not been tried yet?
maybe a rollercoaster?

Remove ads