What's your favorite dice system?

I don't have a favourite but I do have some least favourites.
-dice pools I really dislike.
-funky dice where you need to roll a lot at once, so 6+.
-And arse "there is no real mechanic ones so we shouldn't bother rolling ones" like Tales from the Loop

I do like:
-Dragonquest d100 roll under.
-Rolemaster d100 and add
-Modiphius roll a few and under.
-Talisman RPG/Dragon Age roll a few and something funky may happen

Jacob Lewis

Ye Olde GM
edge-of-the-empire-symbols-dice-min.png

The narrative dice system for the Star Wars and Genesys RPGs is one the most innovative and intuitive dice mechanics I have ever come across, and is hands down my favorite system to run narrative and cinematic games. It is not designed for tactics or min-max strategies, which makes it perfect for games that aren't combat heavy or centric. That also puts off potential players who are used to numbers and building characters primarily for battle. It's not for everyone, obviously. But it has changed the way I describe results and consequences in other games beyond the basic pass/fail state.

Aldarc

Legend
I would add the dice pool system from Cortex Prime to the list of fun dice systems. You assemble a dice pool of different die types based on your character's prime traits (e.g., Attributes, Values, Distinctions, etc.) and pertinent tools (e.g., Assets, Resources, etc.). Then roll and add the two highest, typically against the GM's roll of their pool.

Like a lot of people here I'm really drawn to a dice pool. They're fun to use, and I want the underlying math of most rolls obscured, while also having some sort of a curve, even if I don't know exactly how the probabilities shake out (Never tell me the odds, etc.).

For those reasons I really hate the flatness of a single d20, as well as a percentile mechanic. Both just seem completely swingy and boring to me.

My current favorite dice pool mechanic is in most Forged in the Dark games, where you're rolling a pool of dice and looking for the highest number. In Scum and Villainy you might roll 2d6 for a given action (based on a rating of 2 in Helm, for example, to fly a ship), then you could add a d6 if you push the roll (taking 2 points of Stress, which act sort of like HP), or a d6 for taking a Devil's Bargain from the GM (get a consequence on the action no matter how you roll, like maybe you'll overload and damage the engines), and so on. If your highest single roll in that pool is 6 you fully succeed, if the highest is 4-5 you succeed with a cost, and with only 1s to 3s you fail and typically take even more/worse consequences. Multiple 6s is a critical success.

That kind of dice pool isn't as empowering as a giant handful of d6s in Shadowrun or Vampire, but it makes for really dramatic moments, with lots of cool ways to increase the tension by adding a die here and there, usually at a cost.

I'm also really into the weirdness of the dice pools in Trophy, which borrow some elements from FitD--including the Devil's Bargain mechanic--but include some unique twists. I won't get into all of the options in the game, but for most actions you roll light and dark d6s at the same time, and the result on the dark dice can mean PCs take Ruin (you usually take five Ruin before you're dead/transformed). Dark dice factor into rolls in different ways, and there's a completely awesome dice pool mechanic where during combat you roll a single pool of dark dice, one for each PC fighting the monster (the game assumes most fights are desperate group efforts against one horrible thing) but each PC also rolls a single light die for themselves. That number is their Weak Point for the fight. If any of the dark dice come up with a PC's Weak Point number, they take a Ruin, or lose a piece of armor (regardless of whether the overall dark dice pool rolled high enough to beat the monster). And if the dark dice roll isn't enough to beat the monster's Endurance, you have to either retreat, find a way to lower its Endurance, or take a gamble, and add an extra dark die to the pool, and rerolling the now-larger pool. And you can keep gambling like that, adding more dice, rerolling the pool, and risk taking more and more Ruin until you beat the thing, die trying, or run away.

It's way too abstract a combat mechanic for a lot of (most?) gamers, but to me it's one of the coolest approaches to making combat scary that I've seen.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
View attachment 155374
The narrative dice system for the Star Wars and Genesys RPGs is one the most innovative and intuitive dice mechanics I have ever come across, and is hands down my favorite system to run narrative and cinematic games. It is not designed for tactics or min-max strategies, which makes it perfect for games that aren't combat heavy or centric. That also puts off potential players who are used to numbers and building characters primarily for battle. It's not for everyone, obviously. But it has changed the way I describe results and consequences in other games beyond the basic pass/fail state.
I had a little issue with the intuitability of some of the symbols (why not something simple like +/- for some of them?), but turns out they're pretty easy to pick up over the course of even one session.
I particularly like the Force die and Destiny Pool they set up.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases