• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What's your favorite edition of D&D (so far)?

What D&D Edition Is Best In Life (To You, Right Now)?

• OD&D

Votes: 6 2.5%
  • B/X - early incarnations (Holmes/Moldvay)

Votes: 8 3.3%
  • BECMI - boxes, Rules Cyclopedia (Metzner)

Votes: 10 4.1%
  • AD&D - 1st edition

Votes: 45 18.5%
  • AD&D - 2nd edition

Votes: 19 7.8%
  • D&D - 3.x edition (incl. 3E & 3.5E)

Votes: 48 19.8%
  • D&D - 4th edition (incl. Essentials)

Votes: 60 24.7%
  • Pathfinder

Votes: 36 14.8%
  • Other/retro-clones

Votes: 8 3.3%
  • I protest at your categorizations! (Free Moldvay, Unearthed Arcana, 3E, etc!!!!)

Votes: 3 1.2%

teitan

Legend
Thinking about it, I actually think I preferred the NWP system to the 3.x system for skills because it allowed for someone who was highly trained in some skills much more easily. It's biggest drawback was that the Thief, Bard and Ranger skills weren't integrated with it at all. This is where 3.x outshines the skill system in 2e and 1e. WHy I preferred 1e was that skills were a non-issue, it was all DM's ruling. I liked that freedom.

Elf Witch

First Post
I picked 3E because I have enjoyed it for the most part and I like a lot of the rules. To be honest I like 3.0 better then 3.5 with the exception of the ranger. 3E with all the WOTC books and all the open content has really given me a lot of options and settings to fool around with and to be honest I really would never have to buy another book and I would never get to use all that I own.

If I had a second choice it would be 2E AD&D just to use to run Forgotten Realms I really like the realms of that edition.

Draksila

First Post
Second Edition. True, the rules were still a bit archaic and antiquated, though we played long enough to have them all memorized along with the page numbers they were kept on. Still, it was a good time for world-building. Description and flavor were key, with many a splatbook being full of fluff with only a bare minimum of crunch. Not to mention that this was the era that gave us campaign settings that are still hot topics even to this day; Ravenloft, Dark Sun, Spelljammer, and Planescape just to name a few.

Paizo's leanings toward that same love of story and attention to detail are part of why my group's starting to fall in love with Pathfinder. As much as the rule system WotC brought on board with 3E modernized the game from a crunch standpoint, I still think they're in the Dark Ages where story and plot are concerned. Once I see a concerted effort to temper their crunchy bits with a bit of flavor, I'll reconsider caring what they're doing with 5E.

Mishihari Lord

First Post
I voted AD&D, but 2E is a close second. The 2E rules were better, essentially just the 1E rules massively cleaned up, but I much preferred the writing and genre choices for AD&D.

RandomCitizenX

First Post
I went 3.x because without a doubt it is the system that I have gotten the most mileage from. A very close second was AD&D 2nd Ed. It's where I started and I still look back on it fondly. Our 2nd Ed Ravenloft campaign remains my group's quintessential campaign experience. I also enjoyed 4e, but it just didn't have the same hold on me that 3.x or 2nd ed have had.

Remove ads