• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What's your favorite edition of D&D (so far)?

What D&D Edition Is Best In Life (To You, Right Now)?

• OD&D

Votes: 6 2.5%
  • B/X - early incarnations (Holmes/Moldvay)

Votes: 8 3.3%
  • BECMI - boxes, Rules Cyclopedia (Metzner)

Votes: 10 4.1%
  • AD&D - 1st edition

Votes: 45 18.5%
  • AD&D - 2nd edition

Votes: 19 7.8%
  • D&D - 3.x edition (incl. 3E & 3.5E)

Votes: 48 19.8%
  • D&D - 4th edition (incl. Essentials)

Votes: 60 24.7%
  • Pathfinder

Votes: 36 14.8%
  • Other/retro-clones

Votes: 8 3.3%
  • I protest at your categorizations! (Free Moldvay, Unearthed Arcana, 3E, etc!!!!)

Votes: 3 1.2%

SpiderMonkey

Explorer
I don't think nostalgia is applicable. I voted B/X though I didn't play it back in the day; I jumped on with Mentzer's BECMI and moved quickly to 2e.

I've been playing a lot of BECMI since 4e came out, and it was hands down my favorite. That said, as I've been playing more as well as reading and thinking about rpgs more, the more I love B/X. It just sings for me. Nostalgia is irrelevant, and designating someone's choice for an older edition as such is kinda dismissive.

Nostalgia runs strong in this poll.
I'll join the chorus: nostalgia doesn't apply to my D&D gaming. I'm not looking back on fond memories of yesteryear's gaming, or trying to recapture a past experience. I'm having fun gaming, now, even if it's with systems that were published decades ago. (And I'd even say that my games, now, are *better* than the games I ran "back in the day." The only thing I'm nostalgic for is the amazing amounts of time I had to game, back then...)

OnlineDM

Adventurer
4e was my choice. It's the game that got me into RPGs and the game I play most frequently by far. I've enjoyed the 1e, 3e and Pathfinder games I've played, but 4e is definitely my favorite so far.

Mallus

Legend
I'll say this about the N-word (nostalgia).

It's definitely plays a part in my current AD&D campaign. However, it's not why we're enjoying the game.

AD&D is simply a good game. It's easy to ignore the clunky parts, plays fast at the table, and is full of inspirational lunacy. if you care to read it.

francisca

I got dice older than you.
AD&D is simply a good game. It's easy to ignore the clunky parts, plays fast at the table, and is full of inspirational lunacy. if you care to read it.

AD&D certainly is not without faults, but I love it, warts and all. And there is nothing wrong with nostalgia, at all. I'm just tired of people claiming that nostalgia is the only reason guys like me keep playing it.

I'm pretty shocked that at 305 votes, 50% of the voters on this site say that a pre-3e edition of D&D (counting the retroclones in that) is their favorite.

SHOCKED.

But not appalled. :D

S'mon

Legend
I'm pretty surprised that 1e is strongly ahead, with 3e just beating 4e for second place. I voted 1e, but only because I've been running it again for about 6-7 weeks - after *not* running it for ca 14-15 years!! Although I did run a 20-session OSRIC campaign online a year or so back. Is it something in the air? Has 1e's time come again? :D

Remove ads