What's Your Favorite House Rule?

pogre

Legend
My favorite little house rule is to replace charged/limited use items with die types. Example: an item has 50 charges (I say it is a d20 item) - when you use it you roll a d20, if you roll a 1 it goes down to a d12, roll a one it goes down d8->d6->d4. It comes out to around 50 charges, but it is a fun little subsystem players enjoy.

Razjah

Explorer
My favorite little house rule is to replace charged/limited use items with die types. Example: an item has 50 charges (I say it is a d20 item) - when you use it you roll a d20, if you roll a 1 it goes down to a d12, roll a one it goes down d8->d6->d4. It comes out to around 50 charges, but it is a fun little subsystem players enjoy.

This sounds really cool! I think that there is the possibility for the item to last way longer and to burn up much faster. Plus it needs to be tracked much less than 50 charges getting used for cure light wounds 10 times on the fighter, 7 on the ranger, 2 on the wizard, and 3 on the rogue.

You can even drop 5th edition advantage system into it. If there is an effect that would make magic items work better or worse, the players roll with advantage or disadvantage.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos

I'm with Razjah - this is a good idea. And since I'm already running a system where spells use up a variable amount of mana, it makes too much sense for magic items to have random-ish amounts of power as well.

Oh, by the way, this also works for arrows, bolts, and bullets.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases